Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SS MPSTR View Post
    I highlighted the only useful info in this post.
    LOL,,,thats just what I suggest if you don't know much about porting heads,,,send them to someone that does. If I really wanted to make good power without the hassle of machine shops I would go with a new casting like AFR. Nothing wrong with them at all.

There are actually alot of other options as well, depending on your budget. The aftermarket has kept the LT1 alive for those that still have love for them. Now if someone would come up with a new aftermarket block it would be great.

I have been researching complete LT1 crate engines as well and found a few good options this way too.

Black
    1997 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Maybe he can send them to AI if he takes a second mortgage out on his house

They're just as inexpensive as Brand 'L' I can't help people if mediocrity is acceptable.

Black
    1997 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If I really wanted to make good power without the hassle of machine shops I would go with a new casting like AFR. Nothing wrong with them at all.
    AFR, even with their porting, is not a great choice. It's well known their advertised flow numbers are way happy, and there are a ton of AFR-head LT1 cars that just don't run that bitchin' for all the hype.

Black
    1997 Camaro Z28

The AFR stuff is based on an old Canfield design. Anyone old enough (like me) to remember when Canfield heads were 'it'?

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

AFR, even with their porting, is not a great choice. It's well known their advertised flow numbers are way happy, and there are a ton of AFR-head LT1 cars that just don't run that bitchin' for all the hype.
    the answer is lloyd elliot. he is great! and very cheap.

The AFR stuff is based on an old Canfield design. Anyone old enough (like me) to remember when Canfield heads were 'it'?
    Yes I had canfields on a small block chevy back in the day. Nothing wrong with them or AFR really.

I currently run AFR's on a bigblock chevy,,,,they had the best mid lift flow numbers for the intake runner size compared to other heads like, Brodix, Edelbrock, or even Merlin. Their flow numbers backed up the HP I made with a very mild 454, 10:1 compression on pump gas,,,,smallish 248 at .050 hydraulic roller, RPM air gap, and made 638 HP on a DTS. Idles all day in traffic with the A/C blowing and runs 11.40's at 118 mph in a 4,108 lbs car in street trim. Nothing to sneeze at, for a set of heads right out of the box. In a typical 3400 lbs. street car it would be a legit 10 second ride, all motor.

If you look at the last Pump Gas Drags from Hot Rod,,,,,out of the top 10 finishers,,,,7 of them ran AFR heads,,,,including the winner,,,that says a little something.

I do have some things to complain about AFR but overall,,,their heads are tough to beat. I've seen way too many dyno sessions and fast cars with them to ignore. There are cheaper alternatives for out of the box heads,,,especially for motors that have the advantage of being around for the last 50 years,,,,but for the LT1,,,,there isn't too many choices out there. So you have that to consider,,,,

Really???? Have you been around AFR headed LT1's that are tuned properly??? A friend of mine has a 97 LT1 6 speed,,,with an AFR headed 383 LT1,,,,it's a stout street car running low 11's at 120 mph last time I saw it,,,all motor. Not say it couldn't go faster with a different combo,,,but a full weight 97 Z driven on the street,,,,it's nothing to scoff at,,,,unless you have a different idea of what a legit all motor street car should run.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    the answer is lloyd elliot. he is great! and very cheap.
    +1 this is the better option for your needs.

Black
    1997 Camaro Z28

Really???? Have you been around AFR headed LT1's that are tuned properly??? A friend of mine has a 97 LT1 6 speed,,,with an AFR headed 383 LT1,,,,it's a stout street car running low 11's at 120 mph last time I saw it,,,all motor. Not say it couldn't go faster with a different combo,,,but a full weight 97 Z driven on the street,,,,it's nothing to scoff at,,,,unless you have a different idea of what a legit all motor street car should run.
    I know more guys with out of the box AFR heads that have turds for engines (for what they spent). For the money on a NA engine, I think you're way better off gettingthe stock castings done by a reputable porter - and that means one with proven and repeatable results.

I do have friends with AFR"s that have been worked over that run very well. I think a lot of people buy the AFR hype without understanding what they're really getting...nor do they likely understand what it really takes to make a legit street car (f-body) fast. God is in the details.

And no, a full weight street LT1 running 120mph is very stout - I have one

Black
    1997 Camaro Z28

Yes I had canfields on a small block chevy back in the day. Nothing wrong with them or AFR really.

I currently run AFR's on a bigblock chevy,,,,they had the best mid lift flow numbers for the intake runner size compared to other heads like, Brodix, Edelbrock, or even Merlin. Their flow numbers backed up the HP I made with a very mild 454, 10:1 compression on pump gas,,,,smallish 248 at .050 hydraulic roller, RPM air gap, and made 638 HP on a DTS. Idles all day in traffic with the A/C blowing and runs 11.40's at 118 mph in a 4,108 lbs car in street trim. Nothing to sneeze at, for a set of heads right out of the box. In a typical 3400 lbs. street car it would be a legit 10 second ride, all motor.

If you look at the last Pump Gas Drags from Hot Rod,,,,,out of the top 10 finishers,,,,7 of them ran AFR heads,,,,including the winner,,,that says a little something.

I do have some things to complain about AFR but overall,,,their heads are tough to beat. I've seen way too many dyno sessions and fast cars with them to ignore. There are cheaper alternatives for out of the box heads,,,especially for motors that have the advantage of being around for the last 50 years,,,,but for the LT1,,,,there isn't too many choices out there. So you have that to consider,,,,

Yep - the Canfields were strong in their day. It's safe to say that technology has caught them and passed them today.

I never said there was anything wrong with them - they are based on a proven design. My point was that there are better offerings (porting stockers is one) without spending the cash that perform just as well. My comments apply to the LT1/LT4 offerings only - their BBC heads and gen 1 stuff is just as great, but I guarantee you that every one of the pump gas winners was not running an AFR offering out of the box.

In fact, I'm looking at having a set of either AFR or Brodix heads worked over by AI for my 496 bbc - it should really wake it up over the Edelbrocks I have now, which made 625HP with a 'mild' HR cam.

red
    95 Z28

Yep - the Canfields were strong in their day. It's safe to say that technology has caught them and passed them today.

I never said there was anything wrong with them - they are based on a proven design. My point was that there are better offerings (porting stockers is one) without spending the cash that perform just as well. My comments apply to the LT1/LT4 offerings only - their BBC heads and gen 1 stuff is just as great, but I guarantee you that every one of the pump gas winners was not running an AFR offering out of the box.

In fact, I'm looking at having a set of either AFR or Brodix heads worked over by AI for my 496 bbc - it should really wake it up over the Edelbrocks I have now, which made 625HP with a 'mild' HR cam.

I've seen ported AFRs go well over 300cfm. Stock heads just dont have the material to compete with AFRs when it comes to going all out with them.

Black
    1997 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I've seen ported AFRs go well over 300cfm. Stock heads just dont have the material to compete with AFRs when it comes to going all out with them.

With work, I agree.

Thread Information