Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not a problem. Sheesh you guys expect alot when it comes to ET's,,,,,13 second anything is generally a pretty decent street car that is fun to drive. Nothing to sneeze at, and harder to run than some people think, especially in a full weight car tipping 3800 lbs.
    My 02 SS vert was bone stock and ran 13.70's,,,after my own tuning with HPtuners it went 13.40's,,,car is still a stocker with no bolt on's.

All you can do is run it and find out. Worse case is they tell you to go home,,,who cares, you got a baseline anyway. Thats what I do with my Chevelle,,,runs under the current 11.49 requirement for a rollbar in a hardtop car,,,but I won't install one. I make changes to the car all the time and test it out at the track but it's primarily a street car. Sometimes I get 2-3 runs in before they tell me "NO MORE",,,,,lol. But I only go 1 or 2 times a year with it anyway. Just depends on the tracks mood at the time.

As far as roll bars for a 4th gen vert,,,,there was a subject on this a while back,,,and there were some great suggestions on bars, with manufactures listed as well. With both bolt in and weld in bars mentioned with different configurations. Hopefully someone can chime in with a link to it. I believe someone by the name of ED had all the information. Hope that helps. Larry.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

aren't convertibles alot heavier than hardtops?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Corvettekid82 View Post
    Its the drag thats created with the top down thats slowing you down. Its not just your car, its all verts except for one or two very well designed ones like the new 911 Turbo Vert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvettekid82 View Post
    The F-Bods? No.. full speed is achieved top up.
    wrong and wrong,

i've hit ~160mph with the top down, and it didnt take long to get there, there is more drag with t tops, a convertible creates a pocket of swirling air inside the car that acts like a makeshift roof that reduces drag whereas t tops let in air and it has no where to go

bright rally red
    2002 ss 35th

[QUOTE=ss~zoso~ss;960449]wrong and wrong,

i've hit ~160mph with the top down, and it didnt take long to get there, there is more drag with t tops, a convertible creates a pocket of swirling air inside the car that acts like a makeshift roof that reduces drag whereas t tops let in air and it has no where to go[/QUOT
    was your 160 on a stock motor

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    aren't convertibles alot heavier than hardtops?
    Yes in general they are,,,but I am not sure where you are going with that question in reference to roll bars and NHRA requirements.

Only way to know for sure is put your car on a scale,,,since every car differs a little bit. My 02 SS convertable came in at 3,620 lbs. with I believe 1/2 or 3/4 tank and no driver, would have to check the records on the gas quantity to be sure.
    My other 97 Z28 convertable comes in at 3,550 with the same amount of gas and no driver. They all vary a few lbs here and there depending on options.

I am sure there are hardtop, or t-top cars that weigh less, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few that weigh as much as a vert, with all the add on stuff these kids are putting in them nowadays with stereos and such it could go either way.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

mine was 3,800 lbs with a complete full tank and me in it and i weigh about 170-180
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    wrong and wrong,

i've hit ~160mph with the top down, and it didnt take long to get there, there is more drag with t tops, a convertible creates a pocket of swirling air inside the car that acts like a makeshift roof that reduces drag whereas t tops let in air and it has no where to go
    No the information I gave is correct. Your MAXIMUM top speed is achived with the top up. Top down creates more drag than with the top up. Very few cars can maintain the same drag coefficient with the top down as it would with the top up.

Im also not saying that a T-Top car wont be slowed down with its tops off.. of course it would. Same would go for a hardtop with the windows down. Aerodynamics are key to top speeds.

Sure you can get up to high speeds with the top down but if you're going for the highest speed your car will hit, you would not want to do it with the top down, t-tops off or even the windows down for that matter.
    Last edited by Corvettekid82; 08-23-2007 at 06:00 AM. Reason: spelling

I tend to agree with above. And just to answer the question of being able to race with the top down? I believe as long as the car you are racing is equipped with a top you will be required to race with the top up whether you have a cage or not. Again this depends on how easy the officials are but I have always been told to put my top up,,,whether the car was slow or fast.
    An exception would be a "roadster" type bodystyle that didn't have a top to begin with.

On a hardtop car you are always required to have the windows rolled up as well. Not allowed to make a pass with your windows rolled down. At least that is how it is at our local tracks here.

Thread Information