View Poll Results: Who drives thier cars to the track?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I drive to and from the track.

41 89.13%
  • No, I trailor my car to and from the track.

2 4.35%
  • If I had a truck/trailor, I would trailor the car

9 19.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There is advantages to towing the car if you are strange like me. I towed the Chevelle to a large meet a few years back. Broke an axle on the very first pass that ended it's day.
    Was still early and I wanted to race, so I unhooked the truck from the trailer, teched it in and went 5 rounds with it Hooked it back up and towed the whole mess home.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I have to drive about 100 or so miles to the track. I use street tires, BFG KDW's. Probably why I haven't pulled off better then 2.2 60'
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I have to drive about 100 or so miles to the track. I use street tires, BFG KDW's. Probably why I haven't pulled off better then 2.2 60'

I ran 1.93 60 foot time first time out on my BFG KDWS's, they are the all season (mud/snow) version of the usual KDW's that you see.
    Those things hook pretty decent for me.

Red
    1999 Pontiac GTP

I drive any of my cars to the track and then swap the DR's or slicks at the track. I agree it's a PITA. If I had a truck and a trailer I would haul them to the track for sure.

The furthest I've gone was 7 1/2 hours to Bowling Green to race my GN. My goal was to run a 10 second ET. Three passes and ran a 10.99 and called it good. Got 21 mpg on the trip, not many cars can do that. I've made tons of passes between all of my cars and even though I've had a few failures I made it home."knock on wood"

I do have a friend with a trailer if there is a major failure, nice to have a back up plan.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I ran 1.93 60 foot time first time out on my BFG KDWS's, they are the all season (mud/snow) version of the usual KDW's that you see.
    Those things hook pretty decent for me.
    Mods/A4 or M6/track prep/tire pressure????

Black
    99 Formula

I use to drive to the track twice a month, 112 miles each way. Sometimes make 8-10 passes. At the time I was running 12.0-12.2 at Palmdale, high altitude track. Blew the rear once and had it towed. That night sucked ass. The track closed a year and a half ago. I still drive to the track butt not as often since our home track closed.

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Mods/A4 or M6/track prep/tire pressure????
    Well track prep sucked as it always seems too over here at Speedworld. It's been quite slippery no matter what car I take.
    I had to drive it like an egg was under the pedal and reach full throttle maybe 25-30 feet out.

It only has headers and a 3400 converter. Otherwise just a stock 02 SS convertable. But the tires have worked great for me with just a short dry hop to clean them, and 40 psi of air seems to work best. Runs in the 1.9xx range pretty consistent unless I change my routine.
    Now you can get stupid with it and light the tires up if you wish, but it's not hard to 60 foot if you're easy on the go pedal, and it recovers easily if you peddle it.
    With a good drag radial I'm sure the car would 60 foot in the 1.7 zone without too much trouble.

My wifes 4th gen on the other hand, same track but with crappy Falken tires won't hook for the life of me. Although a 6 speed car, I have to really slip the clutch or come out off idle. Any tire slip at all and it's difficult to recover even if you peddle it.

Red
    2001 ws6

always drive to the track mades 60 passes on stock 10 bolt this year before finally breaking it .... and didnt even break it on the track lol im also within 15 minutes of the track plus in the drag racing world AAA's a must.!

Silver
    1997 Firebird

Last year drove to the track with a friend(about an hour drive) and he ended up screwing his trans and had to drive it home. Topped out at like 45 mph and most of it is highway driving... LOL ... Wish I had a trailer or money for a tow.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

-172 miles
    -I don't know the power output, it runs a 12.2
    -street tires on the way up and I bring mickey t drag radials and a jack to switch them at the track

I wish I had a trailer so that I wasn't afraid to launch the car harder, I go 3-4 times a year

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well track prep sucked as it always seems too over here at Speedworld. It's been quite slippery no matter what car I take.
    I had to drive it like an egg was under the pedal and reach full throttle maybe 25-30 feet out.

It only has headers and a 3400 converter. Otherwise just a stock 02 SS convertable. But the tires have worked great for me with just a short dry hop to clean them, and 40 psi of air seems to work best. Runs in the 1.9xx range pretty consistent unless I change my routine.
    Now you can get stupid with it and light the tires up if you wish, but it's not hard to 60 foot if you're easy on the go pedal, and it recovers easily if you peddle it.
    With a good drag radial I'm sure the car would 60 foot in the 1.7 zone without too much trouble.

My wifes 4th gen on the other hand, same track but with crappy Falken tires won't hook for the life of me. Although a 6 speed car, I have to really slip the clutch or come out off idle. Any tire slip at all and it's difficult to recover even if you peddle it.
    Thats good info for me........except with my new found H/C power, I will have to re-learn everything about the car which sucks ass but its worth the extra power.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I drive it to and from. its about 15-20 minutes dont know the miles though. I always go and hour or so before the track even officially opens so my car can cool down then i just walk up and pay the money. i bought a manual fan switch to assist in the cooling but when i got it it was all smashed up so im waiting on the new one

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

62.8 miles to infineon raceway
    338rwhp
    stock 16" snowflakes deflated to 20psi to cut 1.9 60'

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    62.8 miles to infineon raceway
    338rwhp
    stock 16" snowflakes deflated to 20psi to cut 1.9 60'
    I am SO, SO sick of 1.9 60'. I need a way better tire. Nothing lik spinning for 20 feet with a pretty looking 9" under neath.

Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I was considering going to NED today actually, it would be 135 miles each way. Apparently though I'm going to need a helmet for running 13's........

Sucks theirs only 1/8mile in Maine...

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

just drove about 100 miles there and 100 back to Lebanon NY the other night.

I'll only go if there is someone to go with me. Too far away from home to break and be alone

street tires and mild bolts on
    Last edited by Poppn; 08-27-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Forgot the air up the Hoosier's once before driving home.
    That was interesting.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I am SO, SO sick of 1.9 60'. I need a way better tire. Nothing lik spinning for 20 feet with a pretty looking 9" under neath.
    I am cutting that on a 245 wide 16" tire not bad for me, but yah maybe I could show you how to use that 9".

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Thats way better than having a awesome slick on the back and shattering a 10 bolt lol

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I am cutting that on a 245 wide 16" tire not bad for me, but yah maybe I could show you how to use that 9".
    PLEASE DO! After talking with some members here, im betting my Tq Arm angle is wrong. Should not be wheel hopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Thats way better than having a awesome slick on the back and shattering a 10 bolt lol
    Moser 9"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information