Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

ive had no problems with factory, or modded gt mustangs( exhaust, mabey a lite cam) in my factory A4 B4C.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    I've had several runs vs 2008 GTs, with my slightly modded SS easily winning on straight runs, whether from a standing start or from various starting speeds. When turns were involved, it was even easier to pull away from the GTs. So, IMHO, the new mustanks still are some distance behind the 4th gen. GM F-bodies in the handling department.
    I agree the 4th gen f-bods weigh about 300 lbs. less than the new Mustang GTs. Not sure exactly what the f-bods weigh but the GTs are 3550 lbs. And the GTs have 300 hp not 315.

red
    2000 camaro ss

mine is 3150 w/ back seats and 1/2 tank (read by needle). i think dry weight of fact t-top car is 3300.
    2000 red ss: >2" drop, koni adjustables 'n 275 s-compounds all way around, giant brakes, dynatech LT's, borla catback (no plate), t56, tubular everything, HARD TOP, caged, "stock" heads 'n a mean cam. -2* front camber.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Did the newer Mustangs go with an IRS? My '89 LX 5.0 had a solid axle and made you pay for it whenever a bump was in the road. That is why my '94 T-bird handled so great, IRS. It wasn't even close when compared to a Mustang when the road got twisty. T-bird easily > Mustang for handling. Actually I still believe the T-bird handled better than my Z28 (stock), much better as a matter-of-fact. That's why I thought the new Mustang would handle better...IRS. But does anybody know for sure? I don't care enough to research it.

red
    2000 camaro ss

unless i've completely stopped paying attention to anything but GM, it's a solid.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    unless i've completely stopped paying attention to anything but GM, it's a solid.
    It very well could be. I might be confusing it with a prototype they were developing.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

No Mustangs have been IRS for several years now. I believe since 99, However their are swaps available for DR applications to bolt in an 8.8 or 9in easily.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    No Mustangs have been IRS for several years now. I believe since 99, However their are swaps available for DR applications to bolt in an 8.8 or 9in easily.
    Then I wasn't imagining it! The Ford IRS in the T-bird was a good handling set-up when I went aftermarket with shocks/struts and better/wider 17" wheels and tires. it sure seemed like with the demise of the T-bird in '97 that they would use the technology to improve upon the Mustang for an all-around performer.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Did the newer Mustangs go with an IRS? My '89 LX 5.0 had a solid axle and made you pay for it whenever a bump was in the road. That is why my '94 T-bird handled so great, IRS. It wasn't even close when compared to a Mustang when the road got twisty. T-bird easily > Mustang for handling. Actually I still believe the T-bird handled better than my Z28 (stock), much better as a matter-of-fact. That's why I thought the new Mustang would handle better...IRS. But does anybody know for sure? I don't care enough to research it.
    Nope. All S197 (05+) Mustangs are all solid axle, including the GT500. IRS was a consideration during development, and would have allowed Ford to make a RWD Lincoln model to replace the LS. Unfortunately, due to cost and production limitations, the IRS idea was scrapped.

At least the Mustang has the 8.8" though, which is just about as bulletproof as the Ford 9".

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

I recently test drove an 08 Bullit because my wife loved the color (dark green) and we were entertaining the idea of a mustang as a fun commuter car, but I have to tell you, and I took it on the interstate and let her rip for several miles and made a few quick passes and lane changes, when I got out it was'nt like "wow this car is as fast as mine" or "wow this car is fast", it was'nt even like "wow", it was just ok. And it was'nt a money thing because I could have wrote them a check on the spot but it just did'nt blow my skirt up, speed or horsepower wise, maybe I am just biased to our cars? Its a nice car don't get me wrong and their was a lot I liked about it but not enough to drive it home.
    And, yes sometimes when I get on mine it does give me that rush...YMMV
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

red
    2000 camaro ss

no you aren't biased about our cars, you have "our" cars because you aren't biased! anyone who is honest with themselves and/or others knows the performance superiority of an LS1 f/y body. and that certainly includes the road course. . . . . . . . .

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Nope. All S197 (05+) Mustangs are all solid axle, including the GT500. IRS was a consideration during development, and would have allowed Ford to make a RWD Lincoln model to replace the LS. Unfortunately, due to cost and production limitations, the IRS idea was scrapped.

At least the Mustang has the 8.8" though, which is just about as bulletproof as the Ford 9".
    Crap!!! Mental note: After you have typed a long reply make absolutely sure that your palm doesn't inadvertently hit the ESC button as you reach for your coffee. The post goes bye-bye....permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetal View Post
    I agree the 4th gen f-bods weigh about 300 lbs. less than the new Mustang GTs. Not sure exactly what the f-bods weigh but the GTs are 3550 lbs. And the GTs have 300 hp not 315.
    Our cars aren't that light. I've had both of mine on the scale,,both of our verts and a T-top.
    The 97 convertable came in at 3,550 lbs. My 02 SS convertable weighs 3,620 lbs. and our current SS T-top weighs 3,560 lbs.
    They are all pretty damn close and represent what 90% of all fully optioned 4th gens weigh that have had no attempt at weight reduction. Even a few of my buddies had their's on the the scales and a couple of them were even heavier than my junk.

If you are seeing 4th gens tip the scales at only 3,100 to 3,200 lbs. then they have had some serious weight reduction going on,,,,or it's a bare bones car with no options what so ever, and those are few and far between.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Our cars aren't that light. I've had both of mine on the scale,,both of our verts and a T-top.
    The 97 convertable came in at 3,550 lbs. My 02 SS convertable weighs 3,620 lbs. and our current SS T-top weighs 3,560 lbs.
    They are all pretty damn close and represent what 90% of all fully optioned 4th gens weigh that have had no attempt at weight reduction. Even a few of my buddies had their's on the the scales and a couple of them were even heavier than my junk.

If you are seeing 4th gens tip the scales at only 3,100 to 3,200 lbs. then they have had some serious weight reduction going on,,,,or it's a bare bones car with no options what so ever, and those are few and far between.
    3200 race weight!

no 4th gen fbody is 3100 or 3200lbs stock... period. more like 3350-3400 being the VERY lightest..

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    3200 race weight!

no 4th gen fbody is 3100 or 3200lbs stock... period. more like 3350-3400 being the VERY lightest..
    agreed. i've read 3300 dry weight in more than one place. my buddy's iron block ss is in the 33's w/ tubes replacin fact k member and a arms.

agreed. i've read 3300 dry weight in more than one place. my buddy's iron block ss is in the 33's w/ tubes replacin fact k member and a arms.
    Dry weight does not realistically reflect what you see on the street though,,,or the track for that matter. I've seen tons of them on the scale,,,and if they haven't been tinkered with they easily tip 3,500 or more lbs. Seen a few hit over 3,700 even.

Hell even the 1st gens,,,which are the lightest of the bunch,,,,are lucky to be as light as you mention,,,and thats with a small block. Even a bare bones no option 1st gen with a small block still tips the scales at 3,3xx or so.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Dry weight does not realistically reflect what you see on the street though,,,or the track for that matter. I've seen tons of them on the scale,,,and if they haven't been tinkered with they easily tip 3,500 or more lbs. Seen a few hit over 3,700 even.

Hell even the 1st gens,,,which are the lightest of the bunch,,,,are lucky to be as light as you mention,,,and thats with a small block. Even a bare bones no option 1st gen with a small block still tips the scales at 3,3xx or so.
    i understand the difference between dry and whats on street. shoulda said that. . . .there is a good amount of poundage that can be taken off of these cars just by upgradin parts.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

mine is 3150 w/ back seats and 1/2 tank (read by needle). i think dry weight of fact t-top car is 3300.
    Mine is 3590 minus driver. 1/4 tank.
    And that is on drag wheels.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Mine is 3590 minus driver. 1/4 tank.
    And that is on drag wheels.

i didnt say what else i was missin'...and wont.....but i will say i got tubular everything, light brakes, and some other stuff here 'n ther elike flywheel.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Doesn't help that I have a Moser 9" and iron block though.

If I remember...it was 3450 with a 1/4 tank stock.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information