Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

New to Chrome Wheels

I cleaned up my wheels the other day and they are pretty damn shiny. I used some generic brakedust-begone type stuff and a bath towel. My question is, what kind of products to use to get these babies really shining, also what kind of cloth should I be using? My exhaust tips are a little bit dirty as well, should I use the same things on both?

Red

Wink

If it's real chrome then soap, water, and good absorbent towle will do the tirck. Remember many cleaners have abrasives, some microscopic, but in time will chew your surfaces down. There's no short cuts to elbow grease and keeping on the wheel all the time. Brake dust and road grime will ruin your wheels in a hear beat if left on for long periods of time.

Hang in there, chrome is great, but you gotta stay on them

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

I use mothers billet polish on mine. I don't have chrome though I have polished alum. take a look at it sometime, but be sure it won't hurt your chrome.

Snake Eater
    when you clean up your wheels do you just wash and wipe off + maybe a little polish on the outside? or do you clean on the inside of the rims as well?

Red

Not sure your ? was for me, but to answer I use soap and water first and good cotton towel to dry. I have cleaned the inside, but waited too long before I did it the first time. I is a little tranished inside, but that's raw aluminum and not chrome plated.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Keep the chrome waxed!The dust won't stick anymore and is no longer a problem-I had the factory chrome wheels on my 98-got the painted silver on my 02 and keeping them waxed has helped also.I have this woman customer with a TransAm w/chrome wheels and the chrome on the inside of the wheels is peeling off-I figure she never took care of her wheels in any way-and it makes this scraping noise when it hits the caliper.She comes in and says her brakes are making a noise and I gotta scrape and pull off the peeling chrome,the outside of the wheels looks fine.Anyway-keep'em clean and waxed-don't let any waxes or tire shine get on the brake rotors!

steveo346
    mothers makes a chrome polish......no matter how many times people tell u...."you can't polish chrome!"....chrome is not a polishable material....but you sure can clean the crap out of them....use mothers chrome liquid polish u wont regret it!

MSZ28

PEWTER
    1999 Z28

I argree, mother's liquid chrome polish, it will clean/shine w/ ease and the dust does not stick as bad.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

So if you already have a bunch of little pits on the inside of your wheels it is too late?

MR.LS1
    Never to late mothers chrome polish is the best and get a good wheel cleaner 98 camaro z28 slp proformance parts headers high flow cats 3 in. loud month hurst close ratio shifter cold air box pcm upgrade

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by MR.LS1
    Never to late mothers chrome polish is the best and get a good wheel cleaner 98 camaro z28 slp proformance parts headers high flow cats 3 in. loud month hurst close ratio shifter cold air box pcm upgrade
    What the hell?

MSZ28

PEWTER
    1999 Z28

I don't know if it will take out the pits, I only have a few spots on the front rims that have "pits", but when you use the polish it shines enough that you can't see them on mine. Does anyone know what you can use to take out the pits but not hurt the rim?

Black
    99 SS

MOTHERS Chrome POLISH

Thread Information