Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

silver
    2010 civic

cat back exhaust I have dyno max cat back, just check ebay.

You still looking to sell?

black
    1969 firebird

magnaflow sounds mean at WOT.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 10erg01 View Post
    so then if Magnaflow is to quiet then whats really loud with just stock and basic bolt on's. Dont think i'll ever do headers.
    If you want loud then get SLP LM 1....it has a resonator no muffler.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Well I've had the Magnaflow on my car since a few months after I ordered it in 2002.. I can tell you this yes I love the sound.. but craftsmanship SUCKS.. I've had to replace the muffler twice due to it splitting on the welds and end caps. For a lifetime or million mile warranty it hasn't made it 5 years before cracking open and now again I'm having to replace it.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Best resource to see what an LS1 car sounds like with different header and exhaust combinations LS1 Sounds - Your Comprehensive Exhaust Resource .
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The best resource is in person if possible.

Sounds over a computer are not a good representative of how an exhaust sounds due to many factors that come into play: shitty camera it was recorded on, sound setting, quality of mic, distance from the car, position/angle of the mic, in most cases you have no idea what rpm it's at, no idea what headers or cats most of the cars have, environment the car is in (some people take video of their car in a garage and harp how loud it is...well no shit...a Honda is loud in a garage), quality of speakers, etc.

If a computer is your only resource, it's OK, but don't be surprised at all when you install an exhaust on your car and it sounds nothing like the YouTube video you watched.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have magnaflow with a cut out. But I couldn't tell you the last time I actually had the cut out closed when drving.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I had a Magnaflow on my '02 WS6 when I bought it. I assumed it was the stock muffler because of how quite it was.

I didnt realize it was aftermarket(Magnaflow) until I changed my exhaust system. I agree with those that have said it sounds good because it does. It's just too damn quite for my taste.

I like to be heard a few blocks before I'm seen which is why I went with a straight pipe setup with no muffler. Basically a Loudmouth system, I geuss you could say.

I'm running stock manifolds, stock y with cats, as well as I pipe, and in the rear over the axle it splits into two pieces so I still retain both my exhaust tips poking out the rear.

black
    1999 WS6

Exhaust question!

Just bought a 99 ws6 with 6,300 miles. Looking to do exhaust right away. I've done some research. Has anyone done a setup similar to this? Pacesetter LT Heads and y pipe, with magna flow high flow cats followed by a single sweet thunder chambered muffler followed by corsa clone tips???

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mcmacsten View Post
    Just bought a 99 ws6 with 6,300 miles. Looking to do exhaust right away. I've done some research. Has anyone done a setup similar to this? Pacesetter LT Heads and y pipe, with magna flow high flow cats followed by a single sweet thunder chambered muffler followed by corsa clone tips???
    For a chambered exhaust .. as far as sound and performance I suggest grabbing a GMMG chambered exhaust from Hawks Third Gen.. I put one on my SS after having Magnaflow cat back for years and it puts Magnaflow to shame hands down. I kept my center mount exhaust Attachment 26576
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

black
    1999 WS6

Thanks! I plan on doing a single chambered exhaust setup. Headers followed by high flow cats, then ORY, then a single chambered exhaust (running along the driveshaft) , then a y pipe right before the dual tips?? Any recommendations??

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by illcul8troffcr View Post
    Well I've had the Magnaflow on my car since a few months after I ordered it in 2002.. I can tell you this yes I love the sound.. but craftsmanship SUCKS.. I've had to replace the muffler twice due to it splitting on the welds and end caps. For a lifetime or million mile warranty it hasn't made it 5 years before cracking open and now again I'm having to replace it.
    After I started having problems with magnaflow muffler i just replaced it with a different muffler then the mounting brackets on the pipes started breaking so I replaced the entire setup.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Mcmacsten View Post
    Thanks! I plan on doing a single chambered exhaust setup. Headers followed by high flow cats, then ORY, then a single chambered exhaust (running along the driveshaft) , then a y pipe right before the dual tips?? Any recommendations??
    You are getting confused here. ORY indicates no cat converters.
    So you either buy a y pipe with cats or without cats.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

I just installed a Dynomax #17227 and it sounds great under throttle and quiet cruising. No drone at all which I love since I daily. 2000 Trans am stock besides the muffler.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

I have Hooker Aerochambers from Sumitt Racing with a cut out. Perfect. Mild to Wild set up. Only $200 plus $100 install. The very best!

Enjoy your LS!. Put these on my Vette as well. Good sound during cruise. No Drone and powerful sound at idle and full go.
    Life comes at you fast. Grab it and hold onto it with all your might.

Living life in the fast lane. 182IDIE

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    After I started having problems with magnaflow muffler i just replaced it with a different muffler then the mounting brackets on the pipes started breaking so I replaced the entire setup.
    This is exactly what's going on with mine, too. Now I'm thinking it's a quality control thing... Might go with something other than Magnaflow, if I ever get around to replacing the cat-back.

I like the sound of the Corsa, but I don't want anything really loud. The Magnaflow is nice and mellow, but I don't want it cracking and breaking in another few years.

The Corsa and the GMMG are my two favorite sounding exhausts besides the Magnaflow, so I might have to look into those.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No issues with the Magnaflow systems on our T/A or Suburban, both of which are at least 5 years old now. Probably a hit or miss type of issue.

Darren (DarrenWS6) has the GMMG system on his car and even with stock manifolds and cats it sounds amazing.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've always loved the sound of Magnaflow.

I'v got it on my bird and fixing to get one for the Durango.... just as soon as my wife goes to visit her mom.

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

I used to have my 97 TA straight piped and it sounded like a beast. I've got a thrush muffler on the 01 hawk with long tubes and it gives it a nice low rumble with no rasp that I notice. The thrush doesn't seem to be loud enough to wake the neighborhood unless I really try, but gives it a nice deep tone.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    No issues with the Magnaflow systems on our T/A or Suburban, both of which are at least 5 years old now. Probably a hit or miss type of issue.

Darren (DarrenWS6) has the GMMG system on his car and even with stock manifolds and cats it sounds amazing.
    I sure do love it!

This guy's car is my goal. Longtubes, ORY, GMMG, a mild cam.

I had a Flowmaster 80 series in the car before, the GMMG makes it seem stock. There was no high RPM aggression. The tone was hollow and not heavy/deep noted like Borla/Magnaflow/GMMG/Bassani
    Last edited by DarrenWS6; 05-13-2016 at 12:33 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information