Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation Father does donuts with son in '68 Camaro, ends up in handcu

Filed under: Classics, Coupe, Performance, Government/Legal, Safety, Videos, Chevrolet

Think pulling a couple of donuts in an empty lot is harmless? That's what one Joe Graham of Ontario, New York, thought... right up until he was arrested.

Graham was driving by a parking lot in the Wayne County town with his son in his red 1968 Chevy Camaro SS on Columbus Day when he entered the empty lot and did a couple of donuts. The whole episode was said to have lasted only about 15 seconds, but Graham seemed to have chosen the wrong location: that lot was next to the town hall and a local sheriff's office. And when the commotion started, a deputy came out and proceeded to place Graham in handcuffs - right in front of his teenage son - and impound his muscle car.

"We were just pulling out of the lot and the cops rushed over to the car and proceeded to arrest me," Graham said to the local ABC affiliate, 13 WHAM. The culprit said he offered to pay to have the freshly painted yellow lines on the lot redone, but officials reportedly claim that he put his son's safety in jeopardy.

What do you think, should the cops have gone this far with Graham given that he had a youngster in his car? Have your say in Comments.Continue reading Father does donuts with son in '68 Camaro, ends up in handcuffs
    Father does donuts with son in '68 Camaro, ends up in handcuffs originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Odd that this day and age with cameras all over the place, especially New York, that this wasn't caught on film.

I'll have to admit I've never done donuts with my son in the car, (that was never a thrill for me) but straight line burnouts are fair game.

Hard to say without seeing it, but it looked harmless enough in an empty parking lot and appears he only went around a couple times judging by the looks of the marks left. Funny that officials are worried about their yellow lines, lol. Didn't look all that bad to me.

Oh well, people will complain about anything nowadays, doesn't surprise me.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I think they were more pissed that he did it right outside the sheriff's office. Kinda like a "call out".

I think this is a case of trying to make an example......

When I was learning to drive my dad took me to the HS parking lot after snow/ice storms and had me practice getting out of spin outs and hydroplaning. Sometimes the LEO's would check on us and once they heard what we were doing they let us continued. Some even said it was smart thing to do.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 10-22-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Definately agree when you are trying to teach some driving skills, it comes in handy.

I'm enrolling my son at Bondaurant down in Phoenix for his defensive driving school which teaches skid techniques and corrections among other things. You can then (if interested) branch off into more advanced driving lessons in different classes. My wife has now gotten interested in it as well. Hoping she would like to take the class, might make her more comfortable behind the wheel and build some confidence.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've thought of doing that too once my bird is back up. I would love to go do some autox events but want/need to learn how to direct the car safely.

Yeah he has autocross classes as well with various types of cars to learn in. That all looks pretty cool but autocrossing was never my thing. Just never thrilled me to abuse the car that severely and pay for all the upkeep. Of course I'm not talking just playing around in a parking lot full of cones either. If I got into that I'd be more interested in the large road course stuff and vintage SCCA racing.

But never know what a defensive driving course might lead to. I kind of hope it sparks my sons interest in a direction with cars that we can both enjoy.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

few things here......is there a manual somewhere that says everyone that drives a 68 camaro has to be going bald and have a goatee? Secondly.....what's the big deal? Empty parking lot and a few donuts is endangering no one. Now I understand it's against the law and if they want to hit him with a $100 fine then he earned it.....but a felony??? Come on. Lastly.....I grew up driving on gravel roads. I still say to this day that they taught me more about driving than all of the other experience and classes I had when learning. Get out of the ruts in the middle a little bit and the back end would get a little fishy, learn how to stop and not panic on wash boards when the car would just start sliding, and learn safe distances when passing cars coming head on when you're both basically on a 1 lane road.

WOW!! I didn't catch the part where they mentioned felony (Video wasn't playing right so I gave up)

That's ridiculous and just down right obsurd. Slap him with a small fine and move on. I think I'd be getting a lawyer to reduce that charge to a misdemeanor.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I learned most of my more exciting driving skills in an empty school parking lot and back in the hills outside of town. From driving a stick to doughnuts and burnouts, etc... Good memories

A felony is absurd. Reckless driving, sure. He probably could have chosen a parking lot that wasn't within earshot of the Sheriff station though

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I learned most of my more exciting driving skills in an empty school parking lot and back in the hills outside of town. From driving a stick to doughnuts and burnouts, etc... Good memories

A felony is absurd. Reckless driving, sure. He probably could have chosen a parking lot that wasn't within earshot of the Sheriff station though
    yeah....at the end of the day it's hard to feel too sorry for him. Stupid is as stupid does. He probably had no idea what he was going to be charged with either and what he was risking but even as a teenager I knew you went as far away from the police as possible to do stupid shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah....at the end of the day it's hard to feel too sorry for him. Stupid is as stupid does. He probably had no idea what he was going to be charged with either and what he was risking but even as a teenager I knew you went as far away from the police as possible to do stupid shit.
    Exactly

Thread Information