Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Maybe it's my phone, but I don't see anything but a blank picture...
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

well i got the ls7 clutch installed. This thing is a night and day difference over my stock clutch. It engages as soon as my foot leaves the floor, almost like an on/off switch. I've heard that the ls7 clutch is supposed to feel exactly like the ls1, but that def. wasn't the case for me. My stock clutch wouldn't even begin to engage until about 60% of the way up. I also had the fluid changed, had the drill mod done, and discovered that my stock clutch was indeed totally toast, almost no friction material left and heat spots everywhere. So all of that may explain why the new clutch feels so drastically different.

It's gonna take me some time getting used to this engage point though, it's almost as if I'm having to re-learn how to drive my car lol.
    M6, MS3 Cam, FAST 92/92, LS7 Clutch, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, Lid, K&N, OBX LT's, 3in ORX True Duals, KYB AGX shocks, BMR 3-Point SFCs, BMR springs, BMR Adj. PHR, LCA Relos, STB, 315 NT555Rs, DeepDish C5Z06s.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    well i got the ls7 clutch installed. This thing is a night and day difference over my stock clutch. It engages as soon as my foot leaves the floor, almost like an on/off switch. I've heard that the ls7 clutch is supposed to feel exactly like the ls1, but that def. wasn't the case for me. My stock clutch wouldn't even begin to engage until about 60% of the way up. I also had the fluid changed, had the drill mod done, and discovered that my stock clutch was indeed totally toast, almost no friction material left and heat spots everywhere. So all of that may explain why the new clutch feels so drastically different.

It's gonna take me some time getting used to this engage point though, it's almost as if I'm having to re-learn how to drive my car lol.
    it wont stay like that. the ls7 and any style stock clutch grabs close to the floor when new but after about 200 miles the pressure plate will adjust and the clutch will come up to the halfway point to engage just give it some time

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    it wont stay like that. the ls7 and any style stock clutch grabs close to the floor when new but after about 200 miles the pressure plate will adjust and the clutch will come up to the halfway point to engage just give it some time
    Yup.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

thats exactly what mine did...mines actually really close to the top now, but i kind of like it there, i can leave my heel on the floor and shift pretty damn quick

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

I'm not picky, so I can work with it either way. It's just that it takes a bit more finesse to control with it grabbing so close to the floor

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

it will, i stalled mine several times for the first month or so

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Yup! Some clutch manufactures even state the characteristics/peddle travel will change as the disk breaks in.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

you will be fine getting the kit from gm parts direct. the kit comes with the pressure plate and flywheel all ready to go just bolt it on i dont remember if it comes with a pilot bearing but even if it doesnt they are about 10 bucks at the local auto parts store and should always be replaced. also remember to pickup a new slave. remember too that the same slave you pick up at autozone under duralast at 60 bucks will be the SAME slave gm sells you for 160 it even has AP cast into it and made in mexico just like the oem does gm just repackages them and marks the price up
    read this thread through and pretty much like the idea of this set up any more info on the complete job that I should read? Not sure what your talking about Tick or the drill mod and master cylinder why theses should be done? Iam like farmer a newbie to this standered stuff... Any help would be great

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

a basic rundown, is that our stock master cylinders kind of suck. theres a fitting somewhere that restricts the flow of fluid between the master and slave, causing a dead or soggy pedal under aggressive driving. the "drill mod" requires removing this fitting and drilling it out a few millimeters, so that fluid moves back and forth easier. OR, like i did, as well as many others, replace the entire set-up with a Tick adjustable master, and take care of the problem all together.

If you are a cheap and or mechanically savvy, the drill mod is a good choice. If youre like me and would rather just throw money at the problem until it goes away, get the Tick.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Oh and Fyi, after about 500 miles the pedal engage point backed up all the way to the original ls1 clutch engage point. So now it feels exactly like my ls1 clutch, except with a much smoother engage and no slipping lol

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Should be getting my new LS7 clutch and rebuilt T-56 today, gonna be interesting to see the difference. Too Fast has 117k now, and the pilot bearing went out causing damage to the transmission.

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

it's all about feel... you need to know how to operate your car, not just drive it... it's like making love.. gotta know what she likes and how hard you can slam it... just my .02...

my dr's hook hard... or my clutch/flywheel are pussies... i run 555r's and have a hay's street/strip clutch and new centerforce flywheel. just the other weekend, my tires hooked harder than my clutch again... clutch/flywheel combo only has 5k on it maybe? and i was using my line lock. went 1st to 2nd gear and the clutch got smelly... no drill mod or anything tho... i really hope that's the contributing factor....
    ceramic pacesetters, 3" tsp rumbler tds, clear lid, frost mail order, umi sfcs + stb, 6 pt cage, b&m line lock, short throw, hays clutch, centerforce flywheel, 160 stat, couple fancy new seats, cags-air-egr-rear seat delete...
    n2o in the works

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    Oh and Fyi, after about 500 miles the pedal engage point backed up all the way to the original ls1 clutch engage point. So now it feels exactly like my ls1 clutch, except with a much smoother engage and no slipping lol
    is anyone else's aftermarket clutch choppy? like a ceramic clutch in a diesel pickup? mine is in reverse and 1st... bites hard.. hence why i'm surprised it slipped...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Aftermarket high friction clutches will up the chances of choppy engagement. It's usually a trade off for the higher bite of the clutch.

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Aftermarket high friction clutches will up the chances of choppy engagement. It's usually a trade off for the higher bite of the clutch.
    yes, i understand this, but was just wondering if anyone else's setup was choppy/grabby since everyone talks about how "smooth" their replacements are... that's all... i love my clutch, and don't mind it being a bit choppy... that tells me i have something good...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My Spec Stage 3+ was at the beginning. I'd say for about 1,000 miles almost. Especially on take off. Pretty smooth now. Have about 15K miles on it. Most of those are with 500rwhp, and some hard launches in there (5,000+RPM dumps).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information