Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It's fairly common, even though you don't hear of it too often here that the blocker rings become sloppy on the synchro. The 1/2 synchro on the T56 is a double-cone so there is inner and outer cones on the blocker.

The shop can check the synchro by using dye and rotating the blocker with some pressure and look for the wear pattern on the dye. If it doesn't wipe the surface it needs to be replaced. Most likely they'll find the frictions need to be replaced.

Manual says there should be .020 clearance there.

In case you don't know, or for anyone else who doesn't, the blocker rings are an intermediate part between the synchronizer sleeve and the gear cone. When the synchronizer sleeve slides over, it 1st pushes the blocker ring against the cone, and the blocker acts as a cone clutch to help speed up or slow down the gear to the desired speed prior to the synchronizer sleeve sliding over further to engage the gear.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    It's fairly common, even though you don't hear of it too often here that the blocker rings become sloppy on the synchro. The 1/2 synchro on the T56 is a double-cone so there is inner and outer cones on the blocker.

The shop can check the synchro by using dye and rotating the blocker with some pressure and look for the wear pattern on the dye. If it doesn't wipe the surface it needs to be replaced. Most likely they'll find the frictions need to be replaced.

Manual says there should be .020 clearance there.

In case you don't know, or for anyone else who doesn't, the blocker rings are an intermediate part between the synchronizer sleeve and the gear cone. When the synchronizer sleeve slides over, it 1st pushes the blocker ring against the cone, and the blocker acts as a cone clutch to help speed up or slow down the gear to the desired speed prior to the synchronizer sleeve sliding over further to engage the gear.
    The shop said they replaced the locker rings though which have the friction material on them so shouldnt that have corrected the issue?? Or is there some other part im missing? Also if the gear or synchro hub was messed up would it only be evident in high speed shifting also or would it happen at low speed too?

Thanks 35th, so what your saying is even though they replaced the blocker rings with the friction material on them the actual synchro ring and hub itself can be worn out thus causing them no not spin up correctly. I'm a bit confused on how these synchros work so if you could explain the parts and how they work in a synchro I'd really appreciate it lol.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

This is a pretty good article: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0603phr_tremec_t56_transmission/viewall.html

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Thanks man I knew most of that stuff but still very informative I'm just still fuzzy on how all the parts of the synchros really work. If the blocker rings and cones were replaced what else could causing the grinding going into gear quickly? I was thinking the actual synchro hub itself or the gear?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Thanks man I knew most of that stuff but still very informative I'm just still fuzzy on how all the parts of the synchros really work. If the blocker rings and cones were replaced what else could causing the grinding going into gear quickly? I was thinking the actual synchro hub itself or the gear?
    I would guess the same, but I'm by far an expert on this stuff. FBJ is pretty knowledgeable on this stuff. Maybe shoot him a PM and link him to this thread.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 02-18-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information