Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Size

LPM
    2000 Z28

Hah my olds alero rode on 225s. Never thought a vette would

I've never personally seen any thing of the sort when it comes to these horror stories of too wide of a tire on a wheel. It's been done for many years.
    I guess if you are trying to auto cross it and creating side forces to the extreme, well then.....even that example is nill.

I've driven my cars for 30+ years like this without a hickup. I've had skinnies on the chevelle since the mid 80's with a 4" front rim and a 205-75/15 tire on it. Works just fine.
    It's not something you fly off the highway offramp with at 60 mph, just common sense. Actually what I find, is if I push the car through a corner at a high rate of speed, it will slide the front tires, rather than peel the tires off the wheels. That's with a BBC under the hood = lots of nose weight. If it was going to peel tires off, I would think this would be an example of it. Especially since this example is using a tire with 6" of sidewall height.

These little 40 series tires on 4th gens don't have enough sidewall to worry about flexing.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-11-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've never personally seen any thing of the sort when it comes to these horror stories of too wide of a tire on a wheel. It's been done for many years.
    I guess if you are trying to auto cross it and creating side forces to the extreme, well then.....even that example is nill.

I've driven my cars for 30+ years like this without a hickup. I've had skinnies on the chevelle since the mid 80's with a 4" front rim and a 205-75/15 tire on it. Works just fine.
    It's not something you fly off the highway offramp with at 60 mph, just common sense. Actually what I find, is if I push the car through a corner at a high rate of speed, it will slide the front tires, rather than peel the tires off the wheels. That's with a BBC under the hood = lots of nose weight. If it was going to peel tires off, I would think this would be an example of it. Especially since this example is using a tire with 6" of sidewall height.

These little 40 series tires on 4th gens don't have enough sidewall to worry about flexing.
    A lot of it DOES depend on the tire. The BFGs I had on stock on my GTO had a side wall that would flex like mad and they were MUCH THINNER than those of the RE-01R tires I put on it. Even the tire shop said they were much much stiffer.

The thing is, running a super wide tire on a more narrow wheel will not always give you the same contact patch as the same size tire on a wider wheel. A lot of guys see this on Corvettes where they run 315s instead of 285s.

Maroon
    2000 z28 6 speed

the tire can become almost too wide, and actually grips worse because it hangs over too much if you go too big
    2001 B4C Totaled 4/25/11
    2000 Z28 M6 Cammed N' Slammed (SVT KLR)

Thread Information