Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm Silencer

Silence Is Not Golden. stolenthunder's Avatar

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

I honestly cannot tell a difference in accuracy with/without the silencer. I know with centerfire rifles that a suppressor can slightly increase accuracy. There is also a concept called "free bore boost" which some people subscribe to. It teaches that the addition of a silencer adds a few FPS to the projectile.

I can tell you from personal experience that followup shots are much easier to make and it reduces felt recoil by a wide margin. As for sound...the video is a pretty accurate representation of what my rig sounds like. Depending on what you're shooting at, the impact of the bullet can be L-O-U-D. Soft dirt like in my video is the quietest target I've found. I would compare the noise to a paintball gun. I live within a few minutes of a major law enforcement dispatch station and nobody has every called the cops on me for emptying a magazine in my backyard. Cougarish neighbor saw me using the silenced pistol to poke holes in an aluminum awning one time this summer...slightly awkward moment. She just smiled and waved. As for firearm noise. My studies point to it being a weapon in and of itself, especially within a CQB situation. There are some situations where it would be more advantageous to be as quiet as possible, others where it would do more good to shock your attacker's brain and sensory organs with muzzle blast even if your bullets don't hit him.

Likewise there are some situations where you don't want a long silencer or rifle barrel to "lead" you around a tight space or close corner where someone could be waiting.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by stolenthunder View Post
    I honestly cannot tell a difference in accuracy with/without the silencer. I know with centerfire rifles that a suppressor can slightly increase accuracy. There is also a concept called "free bore boost" which some people subscribe to. It teaches that the addition of a silencer adds a few FPS to the projectile.

I can tell you from personal experience that followup shots are much easier to make and it reduces felt recoil by a wide margin. As for sound...the video is a pretty accurate representation of what my rig sounds like. Depending on what you're shooting at, the impact of the bullet can be L-O-U-D. Soft dirt like in my video is the quietest target I've found. I would compare the noise to a paintball gun. I live within a few minutes of a major law enforcement dispatch station and nobody has every called the cops on me for emptying a magazine in my backyard. Cougarish neighbor saw me using the silenced pistol to poke holes in an aluminum awning one time this summer...slightly awkward moment. She just smiled and waved. As for firearm noise. My studies point to it being a weapon in and of itself, especially within a CQB situation. There are some situations where it would be more advantageous to be as quiet as possible, others where it would do more good to shock your attacker's brain and sensory organs with muzzle blast even if your bullets don't hit him.

Likewise there are some situations where you don't want a long silencer or rifle barrel to "lead" you around a tight space or close corner where someone could be waiting.
    I was wondering cause I have never actually used one, and I have heard you loose fps, and accuracy with one. And usually the noise is normally the shock factor you want in a big combat situation unless your a damn sniper or some shit so.

But if your using a handgun to go around corners then I wouldn't mind it but with a m4 I would want that bish to be short as possible, when we room cleared in Iraq I would collapse my butt stock for that extra advantage so you are right there.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Wheres the vid?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information