pewter
    99 Trans Am

Old school camaro want new heads.

I have a 77 camaro with a 350 bored 60 over 501/501 comp cam,Rpm intake 750 holley vac.with hooker headers and exhaust. with I believe 194/150 vortec heads. TcI street fighter trans and stall and 373 gears. The cars runs pretty good for a street car, but like us all I want more.I thought about going to 202/160 vortec heads,but I love the power the car have now.I know they say the more air in the more power you get out . Will I see enough power added to the engine to go with the 202/160 heads, or will I be just spending money only to gain a small return in horse power? I believe it will be a good return for the money. The heads are 700.00. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 01-12-2011 at 03:55 AM.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I have a 77 camaro with a 350 bored 60 over 501/501 comp cam,Rpm intake 750 holley vac.with hooker headers and exhaust. with I believe 194/150 vortec heads. TcI street fighter trans and stall and 373 gears. The cars runs pretty good for a street car, but like us all I want more.I thought about going to 202/160 vortec heads,but I love the power the car have now.I know they say the more air in the more power you get out . Will I see enough power added to the engine to go with the 202/160 heads, or will I be just spending money only to gain a small return in horse power? I believe it will be a good return for the money. The heads are 700.00. What do you guys think?
    i think firebirdjones would be the guy to ask in this dept. at least thats who always gave me info on the old school stuff.

1981 g-Body

You didn't really give much info on the new heads.
    If you know a good machine shop you could have them put 2.02/1.60 in your vortec's along with a port job, cause all things considered the vortecs are a pretty good head. It should be cheaper than $700 and flow good as well.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    i think firebirdjones would be the guy to ask in this dept. at least thats who always gave me info on the old school stuff.
    agreed....shoot him a PM.

Just increasing the valve size on that head will yield very little. It's the valve job that goes along with it that would increase power, but still not enough to warrant $700. If you want to improve upon that head, look for an aftermarket casting - just don't buy Edelbrock!

Black
    '05 GTO

There are MANY write ups on those heads. With the vortechs, you SHOULD NOT modify them, there is little to nothing to be gained from porting or oversized valves and such on a vortech casting. From your other post in the internal engine department, I do believe there is more power to be found in the heads you have. I am assuming this is the engine with the 1.6 rockers. Also exact cam specs would help us. Also if you could disclose- header primary size, air gap intake or not, ignition setup. and stoutness of short block that would help.

Mr. Jones?
    Last edited by Jay37; 01-17-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    RUDE, CRUDE, AND SOCIABLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Thread Information