Green
    1996 Chevy Camaro

96 Camaro won't run right!

I have a 96 Z28 with the Lt1, auto, Lt4 hot cam kit, MAF, and most bolt ons. A few months ago the car would not start and we changed the distributor for the 3rd time since i purchased the car 3 years ago. The car would then start but it kicked back against the Starter and broke the head of the starter. I've had the computer tuned because we thought it this was a timing issue and that fixed the kicking back problem and the car will now start but when under light acceleration there is a miss and under heavy acceleration backfires. I've changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, new distributor with cap and rotor... Any Ideas please??

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by johnward643 View Post
    I have a 96 Z28 with the Lt1, auto, Lt4 hot cam kit, MAF, and most bolt ons. A few months ago the car would not start and we changed the distributor for the 3rd time since i purchased the car 3 years ago. The car would then start but it kicked back against the Starter and broke the head of the starter. I've had the computer tuned because we thought it this was a timing issue and that fixed the kicking back problem and the car will now start but when under light acceleration there is a miss and under heavy acceleration backfires. I've changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, new distributor with cap and rotor... Any Ideas please??
    This is the problem with computer controled cars and no way to see what the F is going on for your self. Your in the same boat I am right now as you are a 96 and I'm a 97 and the only things out there worth a damn at data logging it and seeing what the hell is really going on cost a butt load because of the 2 year proprietary PCM being it was full OBDII. I have some strange problem with to much fuel under light throttle and idle conditions and no real way to figure out if it is something wrong with the tune or a something that needs to be replaced.
    I would start with a pcm scan and see if you get lucky. Maybe it will show a bad o2 but as most people have said to me IN AN INDIRECT WAY mail order tunes only get you so far. If I knew you had to do them 2 to 5 times to get it right I would have never paid for the first one and used a local guy to dyno tune and be done with it. BUT that said my 383 fired up on a stock tune and idled so you problems may be something else. Only other thing is to check the basics and make sure like I have that all the parts of the fuel and ignition system are working and then go from there. Also if you used stamped rockers check and make sure they are not over tight and causing the valves to stay partially open. Also did you set the timing correctly?

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

sounds like the opti... what brand opti did you use?

Green
    1996 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    sounds like the opti... what brand opti did you use?
    I got the opti from Oreilly like 3 years ago, Its been warrenteed three times now and we just replaced it. I'm going to end up slapping another one on there but its just such a pain in the ass to change it.

Green
    1996 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    This is the problem with computer controled cars and no way to see what the F is going on for your self. Your in the same boat I am right now as you are a 96 and I'm a 97 and the only things out there worth a damn at data logging it and seeing what the hell is really going on cost a butt load because of the 2 year proprietary PCM being it was full OBDII. I have some strange problem with to much fuel under light throttle and idle conditions and no real way to figure out if it is something wrong with the tune or a something that needs to be replaced.
    I would start with a pcm scan and see if you get lucky. Maybe it will show a bad o2 but as most people have said to me IN AN INDIRECT WAY mail order tunes only get you so far. If I knew you had to do them 2 to 5 times to get it right I would have never paid for the first one and used a local guy to dyno tune and be done with it. BUT that said my 383 fired up on a stock tune and idled so you problems may be something else. Only other thing is to check the basics and make sure like I have that all the parts of the fuel and ignition system are working and then go from there. Also if you used stamped rockers check and make sure they are not over tight and causing the valves to stay partially open. Also did you set the timing correctly?
    I'm pretty sure the tune sets the timing doesn't it? They got my info on all my add ons and the cam and everything. Other than that idk..

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I'm pretty sure the tune sets the timing doesn't it? They got my info on all my add ons and the cam and everything. Other than that idk..
    It dose but like I said my 383 started on my stock tune so there is likley something else going on there. Unfortunately this forum seems to delete most links I post to out side sites but I'll try it anyway. http://shbox.com/page/index.html There is a wealth of info on how to test individual parts of ignition electrical, fuel, ect on this site. Check it out and see if you can find anything. If they deleted it it's shbox DOT com. I have used it many times to check parts.
    Start with the basics and check AIR, Fuel, and spark. Check and recheck that the plug wires are on the correct plugs and at the opti. Make sure you have NO vac leaks or exhaust leaks. And check that fuel pressure.

red
    95 Z28

I got the opti from Oreilly like 3 years ago, Its been warrenteed three times now and we just replaced it. I'm going to end up slapping another one on there but its just such a pain in the ass to change it.

So it has failed three times already and you're going to put another one (from the same place) on there again??

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

i was more asking the brand, not where you got it.. if it is an oreilly brand (never heard of it) i'm sorry for not getting that part.... please, if you are not using ac/delco try one.

Green
    1996 Chevy Camaro

i was more asking the brand, not where you got it.. if it is an oreilly brand (never heard of it) i'm sorry for not getting that part.... please, if you are not using ac/delco try one.
    I would love to try the AC/Delco... but it is $535... I will probably try the store brand one more time before forking out that pretty of a penny. I have now replaced the module and coil.... still doesn't run any better. Now barely will start at all.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Try a summit or jegs if your not going AC delco

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

I would love to try the AC/Delco... but it is $535... I will probably try the store brand one more time before forking out that pretty of a penny. I have now replaced the module and coil.... still doesn't run any better. Now barely will start at all.
    i don't know who the christ is giving you that quote...

from summit part number - acf-1104032 GM opti for 94-97 $379

how much have you spend in blood, sweat and tears installing all those shit optisparks? have you really saved using that shit part? think about it...

i just don't understand why people are SOOOO dead set that they are going to install shit parts, not listen to anybody that has experience and then keep asking for help that they don't want to listen to.... spend a bit more and do it right the FIRST time. look at ANY forum that talk about lt1s and 90% of the people will say EXACTLY what i'm saying.

Green
    1996 Chevy Camaro

i don't know who the christ is giving you that quote...

from summit part number - acf-1104032 GM opti for 94-97 $379

how much have you spend in blood, sweat and tears installing all those shit optisparks? have you really saved using that shit part? think about it...

i just don't understand why people are SOOOO dead set that they are going to install shit parts, not listen to anybody that has experience and then keep asking for help that they don't want to listen to.... spend a bit more and do it right the FIRST time. look at ANY forum that talk about lt1s and 90% of the people will say EXACTLY what i'm saying.
    We had the car scanned and it has a miss in cylinder 1 and 4. We are going to try plug wires and if that doesn't fix it Im going to try a different optispark. I can return the old one

Thread Information