Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

black
    2002 Trans-Am WS6 Vert

Personally, I would never use a jack to hold up anything while I was working under it. Get some good jack stands and different sized blocks of wood. Anything from 2 x 10 and 1 x 6 to even 1/2 plywood. This will allow you to distribute the weight as well as fine tune the height of the jack stands. I have a pair of 6 ton and a pair of 5 ton that I use to hold the car up. Then 2 pair of 3 ton for holding up other things, rear end, tranny, engine etc. They may seam like overkill, but the higher weight ratings have a wider base which makes them more stable. Just don't use the cheap stamped metal stands, I've seen those start to come apart while under load. It's your life, and spending an extra $20 is worth it.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by bbuikema View Post
    Personally, I would never use a jack to hold up anything while I was working under it. Get some good jack stands and different sized blocks of wood. Anything from 2 x 10 and 1 x 6 to even 1/2 plywood. This will allow you to distribute the weight as well as fine tune the height of the jack stands. I have a pair of 6 ton and a pair of 5 ton that I use to hold the car up. Then 2 pair of 3 ton for holding up other things, rear end, tranny, engine etc. They may seam like overkill, but the higher weight ratings have a wider base which makes them more stable. Just don't use the cheap stamped metal stands, I've seen those start to come apart while under load. It's your life, and spending an extra $20 is worth it.
    I totally agree with you. Obviously my project included most of what your desribing above. I used a pair or two of high quality jack stands in addition to the engine/transmission pair. I'm sure YOUR planning on doing the same.....right xmarksx??????

that 515 package is a nice setup.....i just dont like the cam for some reason

if im not mistaken this member is also running that setup.....http://www.ls1.com/forums/member.php?u=48691
    Last edited by Blackbird WS6; 10-21-2010 at 09:23 PM.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    that 515 package is a nice setup.....i just dont like the cam for some reason

if im not mistaken this member is also running that setup.....http://www.ls1.com/forums/member.php?u=48691
    Why don't you like the cam....I believe its 228/230 around 581/584? That sounds alot like the 228R cam which has high praise on this site.........

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Why don't you like the cam....I believe its 228/230 around 581/584? That sounds alot like the 228R cam which has high praise on this site.........
    like i said...i really dont have a reason BUT i just dont like the cam for the package, i think with something alittle more custom speced out it would be better.....i could be wrong tho

not in NO way am i saying the cam is no good

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    like i said...i really dont have a reason BUT i just dont like the cam for the package, i think with something alittle more custom speced out it would be better.....i could be wrong tho

not in NO way am i saying the cam is no good
    Yeah, I understand. I always ask myself will a set up be "streetable" or not. I enjoy USEABLE power for the streets. That's why I have the 224R........BUT, i wouldn't mind upgrading to LS6 stage 2.5's with a 228R. That combo would be nice, and very streetable. Probably around 450-70'ish flywheel......

black trans am

i did my heads swap this past week and i have a lift to use so i just dropped then eng out. i also did rod bolts timming chain and oil pump

to have it outta car saved my back a lot lol

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

I do think the trick flow package is nice, But I agreed with the cam, Its Older lobe design also I do believe, and can make more power with a custom cam with new and improve lobe design, Myself am thinking about the trick flow as cast 220cc heads they are $1700 bucks with a custom cam and a ported Fast intake, I bet it would have about 10 to 15 hp less than the cnc ported head and you saved some $ Unless you want the best of the best of course.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information