• I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 55 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5152535515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1385
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    My Corvettes system didnt work. I came on after a few hundred miles. Same thing with my GTO. The first oil change it came on after 300 miles, the next time 7k miles, then it took 13k miles for it to come on.........and in case you wonder I changed it eer 3-4k miles. It was 60 miles a day almost all highway and I used Mobile 1.

Not sure if the Z28 will be any better....lol
    The one in my y87 Camaro is like clock work.. No trouble yet (knock on wood) lol..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    My Corvettes system didnt work. I came on after a few hundred miles. Same thing with my GTO. The first oil change it came on after 300 miles, the next time 7k miles, then it took 13k miles for it to come on.........and in case you wonder I changed it eer 3-4k miles. It was 60 miles a day almost all highway and I used Mobile 1.
    If it came on a few hundred miles after an oil change, then I'm guessing it didn't get properly reset. 7k is fairly typical for Oil Life systems, 13k is rediculous. In my opinion, oil life systems are a pretty worthless.

I reset it right when I dropped in the new oil. The weird thing is the light comes on when I start it but goes away right when I pull off. Strange...

Ray Charles blue

Mine did that till I pressed the button for 12 seconds....lol

Dark Cherry Metalic
    1997 Tahoe custom

Oil Poll

I use Synthetic in everything I own, except for the two stroke oil trick in the gas that I learned from you. Good info! Thanks

Got my UOA for my 02 trans am. Please tell me what you all think... (Sampled at 5k miles, 29k miles on motor, previously was mobil 1 synthetic)

Thumbs up Nice report!

Quote Originally Posted by Gohard View Post
    Got my UOA for my 02 trans am. Please tell me what you all think... (Sampled at 5k miles, 29k miles on motor, previously was mobil 1 synthetic)
    The oil viscosity at 100C is spot on at 10.6 so we know the oil is holding up well in terms of maintaining the correct viscosity. It’s not thinning or thickening with use, it’s where it should be.

The Total Base Number is still at 6.18 which is good. That means the oil still has plenty of detergency left in it which SSO has a starting TBN 13.2.

The multi-source-metal MOLYBDENUM is commonly used as part of a motor oils additive package. But not used in SSO, which is why OAI flagged it. It’s probably traces left over from the last motor oil used or from some other contaminate source.

This particular fill of oil was introduced at 24,000-miles on the engine, so the presence of some Wear Metals of Iron and Chromium could very well be from the engine still breaking-in, or could represent average wear for a typical LS1 engine, or could be from the 10% of time this car spends racing at the drag strip.

The wear metal COPPER usually spikes up when a motor oil product has been switched in the engine. It’s most likely temporary and doesn’t posse a problem.

I think this UOA looks fine, but future UOAs should be done to make sure no other problems show up. From what I see here, this engine with this oil and these driving habits, the oil should be able to make 10,000-mile/1-Year oil change intervals with no problems. Just as long as you keep up with normal maintenance items like PVC, proper use of paper or nanofiber air filters, spark plugs, clean fuel injectors, etc.

Thanks for sharing!

08 Chrysler

Just bought a new Jeep wrangler and I've been doing the "drive it like you stole it" break in method. My question is what kind of oil do I use right now? It has 525 miles on it, all very hard driven and I need to flush the oil out of it...I've read that the recommended synthetic oil should not be used just yet. What do I need right now? Should I change the oil filter as well. Thanks!

BTW its 3.8L engine

Also, what kind of oil should I use for regular fills? The manual says to use 5w20 oil, so should I stay away from full synthetic oil?

Thumbs up Full Synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbar View Post
    Just bought a new Jeep wrangler and I've been doing the "drive it like you stole it" break in method. My question is what kind of oil do I use right now? It has 525 miles on it, all very hard driven and I need to flush the oil out of it...I've read that the recommended synthetic oil should not be used just yet. What do I need right now? Should I change the oil filter as well. Thanks!

BTW its 3.8L engine

Also, what kind of oil should I use for regular fills? The manual says to use 5w20 oil, so should I stay away from full synthetic oil?
    Absolutely not. A full synthetic will work great in a new engine. In fact, many new cars and trucks come with synthetic oil from the factory.

Also, most “Full Synthetics” are just highly refined conventional petroleum based oil pumped from within the earth anyway. It’s just processed in different ways. So it’s your choice – Refined? Or Highly Refined? I’d go with Highly Refined.

***edited out product advertisement***0rion
    Last edited by 0rion; 10-20-2010 at 06:34 PM.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Compsyn, read in my monthly amsoil mag that the XL line of oils are a little differnt then it use to be, Do you know what they changed? I run the XL line my daily driver.

Post Gf-5/sn

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    Compsyn, read in my monthly amsoil mag that the XL line of oils are a little differnt then it use to be, Do you know what they changed? I run the XL line my daily driver.
    Yes, the XL line has been reformulated and is now GF-5/SN. It's the latest motor oil performance specifications as set by the API and ILSAC.

Basically, it's a better oil for the same price.

Also, the XL line is a great choice for a daily driver where maximum performance is not the primary objective.

Impounded
    I use Castrol Synthetic and an ACDelco filter...

SOM
    2001 SS

It seems to me there is good talk about the PP oil. What about the P Ultra? I have 210,000 on the DD SS, and want to use the PP or PU but am not sure if i should stay with 10w30. Maybe time to switch to 10w40? Help!

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by som ss 2001 View Post
    It seems to me there is good talk about the PP oil. What about the P Ultra? I have 210,000 on the DD SS, and want to use the PP or PU but am not sure if i should stay with 10w30. Maybe time to switch to 10w40? Help!
    just stay with what you have as in 10w-30 and im not sure with the ultra i know the pp is the best you are going to find at the suto parts store. i run amsoil in all my rides my dd and my wifes as well as my ta.

SOM
    2001 SS

So when would someone start using the 10w40? Much heat and many miles just have me wanting some more protection for the motor.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

So when would someone start using the 10w40? Much heat and many miles just have me wanting some more protection for the motor.
    just keeping good clean oil in it should be all the protection you need but if you want some more lab info on the oil out there look up a member on here by the name CompSyn i think. if you look in some of the past few pages in this tread you should find him.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Never is when you raise the viscosity outside of specs called for.
    The more flow you get between the tight clearances the more protection you are providing to moving parts and lower heat. Higher viscosity equals less flow and higher temps. People get confused here.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Have you ever heard of swepco 502 engine oil improver? Someone I know uses it as an additive in his track cars.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

ZDDP. Is he running a flat tappet cam?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

He runs them in his miata's and fiat 510's. I can only guess the miata wouldn't be a flat tappet. You guessing it has a zinc additive?
    by pictures I have looked up zddp is a different brand but I can't comment on any differences.

Page 55 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5152535515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread Information