Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

Plus I've done the whole import thing. I had the 2nd K20A in the US.

Pewter, and Black
    2001 Firebird, 2002 TA

Nice car! My v6 held me over till i got my v8 I love that thing, it showed me how to drive a car. I use to hate it when people go into the v6 area and tell me i should have gotten a v8. Get what you can afford and enjoy it!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by mroby View Post
    My truck crapped out, I had $4000 in the bank, found the v6 for 4K. It was either that or a civic. I think I made the better choice.
    As for the LT1, I'm familiar with that motor and what i can do.
    I'm liking a stroked 383, but that ain't going to be till the v6 dies, by then I'll probably have a new truck or something and the camaro isn't going to be my DD anymore.
    Problem with dropping a V8 into a V6 chassis is the wiring harness and computer (as well as a few other things). While it can be done, it's much easier to just buy a V8 car and go from there.

And drop an LT1 into a 2002? I'd think about that one real hard. The subframe, wiring harness, computer, all sensors, bell housing bolt pattern and probably quite a few other things either need to be swapped or do not interchange. Very problematic...

Just my $0.02 worth.

And you did make a much better choice over the Civic.

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

From what I've looked into it, it's not alot of work. Engine swaps usually require all that stuff anyway.
    I'mma get a clip and that's a wrap.
    Engine/Tranny, Harness, ECU, Motor mounts + grinder + Welder,
    I hear the suspension needs to be swapped over.
    + hedders

That's not too bad in my book, I've done bigger stuff with hand tools. I'm a cajun, we can do anything.

Still not something i'll be doing for years to come.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Problem with dropping a V8 into a V6 chassis is the wiring harness and computer (as well as a few other things). While it can be done, it's much easier to just buy a V8 car and go from there.

And drop an LT1 into a 2002? I'd think about that one real hard. The subframe, wiring harness, computer, all sensors, bell housing bolt pattern and probably quite a few other things either need to be swapped or do not interchange. Very problematic...

Just my $0.02 worth.

And you did make a much better choice over the Civic.
    x2. it would be much more easier just to sell the v6 when you are done and buy a v8.

Hide ya kids Hide ya wife 94ss06gxp's Avatar

Silver, Stealth Gray
    97 SS CLONE, 06 GP GXP

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    x2. it would be much more easier just to sell the v6 when you are done and buy a v8.
    probably way cheaper too

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

A 3800 can hit LT1 power levels relatively cheaply and easily. Not nessarily with a blower either.. To buy an LT1/LS1 powered car in good shape, would be far and away more than it would cost to get a 3800-II into the 275ish power range. Many are doing it N/A even more with FI on the 3800 and 3.8 platforms.. With the high availablity of after market parts, as well as, the junk yard option for interchange ablility of parts as well. One could easily build a Frankenstein, or an off the shelf beast of a v6.. 3800 and 3.8L are one of the most prolific v6's that GM ever produced, many combos are there.. It will also do it on any kind of gas you stick in it... Far cheaper to do the engine you've got than to swap everything out, or buy a tired LT1 that will need rebuilt almost out of the gate.. 100+k = most likely soon due to be rebuilt.......... If mpg's are an issue,, stop modding now..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-27-2010 at 08:07 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

IMO that swap isn't as bad as some I've seen/done, IMO.
    I think i'm going to pick up a 350 block and build a 383 piece by piece, 2 years from now I might have it finished.

Smittro, how are you handling the fuel maps? W/ piggy back ECU?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    A 3800 can hit LT1 power levels relatively cheaply and easily. Not nessarily with a blower either.. To buy an LT1/LS1 powered car in good shape, would be far and away more than it would cost to get a 3800-II into the 275ish power range. Many are doing it N/A even more with FI on the 3800 and 3.8 platforms.. With the high availablity of after market parts, as well as, the junk yard option for interchange ablility of parts as well. One could easily build a Frankenstein, or an off the shelf beast of a v6.. 3800 and 3.8L are one of the most prolific v6's that GM ever produced, many combos are there.. It will also do it on any kind of gas you stick in it... Far cheaper to do the engine you've got than to swap everything out, or buy a tired LT1 that will need rebuilt almost out of the gate.. 100+k = most likely soon due to be rebuilt.......... If mpg's are an issue,, stop modding now..
    x2

especially the mpg thing

i dont have a problem with v6s..especially when done right..but i think you need to be really sold on the v6..and that you are going to push it.....if not then when the time comes sell it and buy a v8. because at the end of the day, a f-body ls1 making 350 crank will be cheaper than a f-body w/3800 making 350 crank(when done right)

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

Yeah, we really don't need to discuss it at this point,there's alot of info out there on it. Alot of people have their opinions, and you know what they say bout opinions. I've been reading up on it and i'm kinda burnt out on talking about it, like i said, it's a project 2-3 years down the road.

In the meantime, I used to race SCCA. I can get back into that. With all the classes they have, and I have a stock car!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

From what I've looked into it, it's not alot of work. Engine swaps usually require all that stuff anyway.
    I'mma get a clip and that's a wrap.
    Engine/Tranny, Harness, ECU, Motor mounts + grinder + Welder,
    I hear the suspension needs to be swapped over.
    + hedders

That's not too bad in my book, I've done bigger stuff with hand tools. I'm a cajun, we can do anything.

Still not something i'll be doing for years to come.
    I like your attitude.

Back in the 80's when I had a shop I felt the same way about such things: With a lift, welding equipment and assorted power tools the sky's the limit.

These days I'm not so aggressive...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Exclamation

IMO that swap isn't as bad as some I've seen/done, IMO.
    I think i'm going to pick up a 350 block and build a 383 piece by piece, 2 years from now I might have it finished.

Smittro, how are you handling the fuel maps? W/ piggy back ECU?
    I don't run a piggy back ECU in anything I own.. My mega squirtII system is for the TDC 60*v6 (LQ1) and is a total stand alone system. The obd1 is no longer of any use except for speedo and tack so no piggy backs.. The stand alone will be tuned in (SD) speed density and I'm not a tuner I've used plug and play piggy backs for fuel managment alone but needed something considerably different for an FI application.. First gen TDC's don't have half the electronics as the later gen 3.4L dohc's do/did.
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-27-2010 at 10:51 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Custom built (by hand) MegaSquirtII-(project) TDCTT

•24 MHz HCS12 processor,
    •Fuel control to 1 µsec (100 times more resolution than MegaSquirt-I),
    •Ignition control (full spark timing advance control, dwell control, etc) for one coil/distributor (7 pin HEI for example) and Ford's EDIS systems,
    •On-board stepper motor driver for IAC stepper control (this requires a few jumpers, included in this kit, to be added on the MegaSquirt PCB to connect the socket jumpers to the DB37 connector),
    •Ford PWM idle valve firmware support,
    •Built-in rev limiter, either 'fuel cut' or 'spark retard',
    •All tables are now 12×12 in size,
    •WBO2 AFR target table (in AFR units),
    •Independent dual-tables for VE and AFR target,
    •EGO feedback in wide-band mode is proportional to the difference between the measured AFR and the target AFR, the bigger the difference, the bigger the feedback step,
    •Spark advance table can have different rpm and kpa bins than VE and AFR tables,
    •115,200 baud serial interface with MegaTune2.25+,
    •CANbus networking
    •Barometric correction amount and direction configurable in software, and provisions for:
    ◦barometric correction based on initial MAP reading,
    ◦independent 2nd barometric MAP sensor for continuous real-time baro correction, or
    ◦no baro correction.
    •TPS values for open loop and flood clear mode are user configurable,
    •MAP based open loop can be set as well as TPS,
    •Both TPS and MAP based accel enrichment is built into the code, you can configure the ratio of each,
    •Blended Alpha-N and speed density is an option,
    •2 spare I/O lines for custom controls. (This is in addition to 4 lines for Idle stepper control if you don't need this, or the Fast idle solenoid then becomes a spare if you do use a stepper motor.)

"Touch Screen" display for my megasquirt aswell

Some of the parameters you can monitor are:

•RPM
    •Manifold Pressure (boost)
    •Air/Fuel Ratio
    •Coolant Temperature
    •Intake Air Temperature
    •Injector PulseWidth
    •EGO Correction
    •EAE Fuel Correction
    •Ignition Advance
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-27-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

I got my camaro today, my dad would be proud of me.
    It's got plenty of midrange power and what is that second gear, long as a mofo. I'm very happy with it, so is the GF, she had a firebird at the birth of 2002. Long day, had lots of banshee riding in the south louisiana heat.
    How do i check my codes?

98' trans am

I got my camaro today, my dad would be proud of me.
    It's got plenty of midrange power and what is that second gear, long as a mofo. I'm very happy with it, so is the GF, she had a firebird at the birth of 2002. Long day, had lots of banshee riding in the south louisiana heat.
    How do i check my codes?
    take it to advanced auto, or autozone etc and they will read it......i am going to guess either 1. evap or 2. cat low efficiency

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If it is the rear 02, time for cat delete and rear 02 tune out..

Thread Information