Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2200 stall

hugger orange

I went with a 2,800 stall at first because I was afraid to go "big" on my dd, it made alittle difference...then I moved up to a 3,800 and loved it. I did my own tuning (not a pro) and lost about 2 miles per gallon in town but highway stayed the same and it really woke th car up even over the 2,800. Now that ove played with my lockup speed I've just about got my in town mpg back up.

Stall was the best mod done to mine by far.

With just headers and a tune, I was running 13.20's at 106 mph on stock rubber.

I stuck a 3400 in there, and with no other changes the car immediately dropped into the 12's, with a best of 12.76 and still running on the stock rubber.

Converter made all the difference. With the stock stall, the car was a pooch. On a well prepped track I could simply floor the throttle, with a very small tire screech and run rather lack luster 2.1 60 foot times consistently.
    After the stall it went from matting the throttle to feathering it out of the whole due to access tire spin. Once I found a sweet spot I dipped to 1.90-1.92 60 footers, still on stock rubber.
    Drag radials alone I'm certain would drop that down to the 1.7 range and probably put the car in the 12.50's or so.

Not bad for a convertable with just headers and a converter. If it weren't for that converter, the car would still be in the low 13's. My problem now is getting parked for no roll bar

Green
    1998 Trans AM

I have purchased a TA that has a yank ss 3600 stall, I am now nervous that it may not have a tranny cooler. Where would this be located and if I do not have one then how does one work and what does it take to install one. I am a new to LS1's and for that matter automatics. Also if anyone could give a good description on how exactly a stall works would be great. All I know is this A4 hooks and goes like no manual I have ever owned.
    Thanks

hugger orange

Hopefully your car has a tranny cooler in it already. The coolers are usually located up infront of the radiator.

Follow your tranny lines from the transmission up to the front of the car...if they go into the side of the radiator, you don't have one, if they go into the cooler (looks like a mini A/C condensor) you are good to go.

Green
    1998 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    Hopefully your car has a tranny cooler in it already. The coolers are usually located up infront of the radiator.

Follow your tranny lines from the transmission up to the front of the car...if they go into the side of the radiator, you don't have one, if they go into the cooler (looks like a mini A/C condensor) you are good to go.

Ok I have on the front of the radiator what looks like a smaller radiator, i followed the rubber lines and the turned into steel smaller lines that ran to the top of the tranny on the passenger side. Is this an aftermarket cooler? There is not any markings or part numbers on it. Sorry about the stupid question, but I have always owned manual mustangs and never had tranny issues. Knock on wood!

Yes sir, someone has added a tranny cooler for you..

Black
    1999 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    That's like, STOCK! Go big or go home.

A lockup TC with big stall (3400+, and 3400 ain't that big) will not affect driving (much). Lockup is controlled by programming so you can set it where you want. You will have to do accompanying tranny mods such as: Delete torque management and substitute a shift kit + a good tranny cooler. Also a stainless steel sun shell with better clutches wouldn't hurt.

How many miles are on the tranny? This will determine what you should do.

FYI: Mine had only 47,xxx on it and it was already showing signs of wear. I went through the whole kit and kaboodle. Wasn't cheap but it works flawlessly!

I worry more about the rear end than I do the tranny.

Can somebody explain me a little more about means Delete torque management ? That is the same to deacivate the lock up?
    Thanks

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by fastsspr View Post
    Can somebody explain me a little more about means Delete torque management ? That is the same to deacivate the lock up?
    Thanks
    Torque management pulls timing from the motor at and just after shift to reduce torque/ hp , then ramps it back up to where its suposed to be to put power back in slowly to save the tranny

hugger orange

I put about $2,500 in part in mine, Beast sunshella, Raptor input kit, Hughs kevlar clutches, 5 pin planets, and some other parts

Black
    1999 z28

Torque management pulls timing from the motor at and just after shift to reduce torque/ hp , then ramps it back up to where its suposed to be to put power back in slowly to save the tranny
    Thanks man for your answer.
    It is complecated to do it using efi life sofware? This my 3er Ls1 camaro but my first automatic one and i want to see what can i do make it to long last. For now my car is stock but i go to the track and i ran it very frequent. It ran 8.85 @ 82 miles in the 1/8 mile. My first most going to be a 3500 stall conv.
    Mt drag tiers , 3.42 gears and 125 shoot.Looking for 7s with the stock look !
    That is why i want to learn about the torque management thing.

hugger orange

To be honest with you, I know nothing about efi live, hptuners is the only program I've ever used.

I'd save up some money for a new rear (9" or 12 bolt), running drag radials or slicks and stall your stock rear end won't last long

Black
    1999 z28

To be honest with you, I know nothing about efi live, hptuners is the only program I've ever used.

I'd save up some money for a new rear (9" or 12 bolt), running drag radials or slicks and stall your stock rear end won't last long

Yes i know i'm colecting parts for my 8.8 rear end instalation i going to use to start 3.55 or 3.73 gear but that project going to after august.I going to have a baby girl in june.Thanks so much i apreciate your help.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by fastsspr View Post
    Yes i know i'm colecting parts for my 8.8 rear end instalation i going to use to start 3.55 or 3.73 gear but that project going to after august.I going to have a baby girl in june.Thanks so much i apreciate your help.
    Congrads man! Girl will be 10 in july and son turned 3 in feb... They growup fast!

Citrus(burn't) Orange
    2001 Camaro SS

what size and brand trans coolers are yall using

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by usafshelley View Post
    what size and brand trans coolers are yall using
    I went to Autozone in the towing section and picked up a 10"x 15"

black
    01 camaro ss

Thumbs up

has anyody tried circle d 4000 thats what i use and see 1.4 60 ft 7.20s 1/8 and going tonight and see 1/4 times and still drive it on the street mpg not great but have alot of with it.

White
    2000 Camaro

2800 stall or stock converter

On my Camaro the qtr mile was around 13sec flat with the 2800stall and the stock converter. My best was 12.97 with the stock converter. Tires are MT ET streets.

pewter
    2000 b4c ls6 Camaro

Last summer i got a 2400 stall and love it. Gas is the same. Just more power off the line when i lock it up.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

I plan on going 3600 when the time comes. I have seen way too many people gain half a second from a converter swap of that size. LT's and y pipe along with a converter and cooler are going to be my next mods.

MDW- Something is wrong because in 9 years, you are the first person that did not notice any drop in ET from a converter.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information