White
    1998 T/A

Help! Rocker arm puked, what to do??

98 ls1, ws6, found the good ole needle bearings in my oil. pulled valve covers and found a bad roller bearing on rocker. so now what? do i replace with OEM from the dealer? do i replace all of them or the 1 bad one? the rest look ok, but who knows, only 60,000 miles on it. i started looking around and there are many options, some say it was a factory engine problem and stock replacements are ok now, the trunion kit, where you send them out to be pressed in, since i'm not sure even with a press whats involved, or possibly changeing to 1.8 from 1.7. i assume if u do this you will need push rods and springs, since i'm in there anyway i thought about doing it. i like the crane gold rockers. maybe 1.8 kit with push rods and springs? has anyone done this? i'm totally confused atm what to do. feedback please? oh btw does any1 know how many needle bearings are in 1 bearing? i recovered 28 so far

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

stay at the stock ratio... you're limited in cams (if you decide to go that way) with a 1.8... have you poped your valve covers yet to see if there is any other damage???

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Go with triunion upgrade. Any engine machinist or shop should be able to press those in to your stock rockers.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I did a little research on the intrawebs and came up with 33 needle bearings per side. Can anyone confirm for the OP?

victory red
    2007 zo6

some guys with zo6/ls7 have had some of these, same problems.!!. gm took care of n/c just replaced as needed ,,stock ones... i put in magnetic oil drain plugs , ls7's have 2, keep close eye on them .. 2006 were ok, some 2007, all rest of years, ok... i would stay stock ... rkvette

White
    1998 T/A

I popped the drivers side and found one bad rocker, just one side let loose on the rocker, the rest of them look fine, i talked to GM dealer and the tech bulletin says to replace all 16 and pull oil pan...ugh. haven't pulled pass side cover yet. I don't think it's been like this long. It would be sweet if found them all so i don't have to pull the pan. it does have the magnet drain plug.
    so they say replace(GM), but they expect you to put the same fail part back in, or has there been an improvement. i did see some posts on those trunions failing to, was that an early problem and they are ok now? anyone been running them a while? i found 2 companys that sell the trunions any comments on which one to use?

White
    1998 T/A

BTW there is a GM bulletin on rocker fail, they recomend replacing all, apparenty there was a quality issue with the when engines were made, they claim replacing them with OEM should be fine, and they don't know of any issues with replacement ones. but I'm going with the trunion kits, don't want to go through this again, sending mine out. i don't even drive mine hard, it's pampered, rarely stomp the pedal. so these things can fail easy, seen reports of engines with 10,000 miles failing so watch your oil changes and if you go to quickchange place make sure they watch when you change your oil, a place like that may not even notice. If you don't have a magnet plug GET ONE! glad i do my own oil changes.
    Last edited by I love toys; 04-27-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Thread Information