Smith and Wesson M&P 40 .....
    OR
    Springfield XDM 40 ......

bran new in Houston area the M&P 40 is like 579.00
    bran new in Houston area the XDM 40 is like 545.00

I think both are 15+1
    both come with changeable back straps
    both come with 2 mags.
    the XDM comes with the belt clip and speed loader (I THINK)
    the gun will be a carry and or in the car gun
    which should I go with

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

XD all the way. I talk to the the guys at all the gun shops and they seem to like it better, I have never shot the M&P, but I have the Springfield and it is a good gun.
    I shot a plain XD .40, i hear the XDM has amtch barrel and better trigger fro follow up shooting, along with some other upgrades. You should get it over the Smith. IMO.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Oh hell this is easy....XD hands down.

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    the man is right

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Yeah XD for sure your best bet.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Six for one, half-dozen for the other

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post

Horseshit. Either one is a good choice. Put your hands on both, look at the differences, ask others who have BOTH what they think, and make the best informed choice you can.

I carry a S&W M&P .40 (full size) as my duty gun. It comes with three palm swell inserts for you to customize the grip for your hand size. Our version has no frame mounted safety, but now S&W does have it available. There have been a few people talking about magazine retention issues, but so far, we have had no problems with our department's weapons. I have had zero failures to feed or eject. Accuracy is very good (better than combat grade [5"] but not target grade [2"] at 25 yards). Shoots well with medium to heavier weight loads. That's personal experience.

The XD's have a great reputation as well, but I don't carry one. I'd be surprised if it was not extremely comparable to the M&P. Either gun will be an excellent choice, but do your homework about accessories and options that you feel would be sometihng that interests you in the future for the gun. Consider all that, get the best price you can, slap the money on the barrel head, and never look back. Or buy both now.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I should be getting the .40 cal XD this weekend if I like how it feels and shoots.

red
    2000 Z28

I've been very happy with my M&P's. I've got a full-size and compact 9mm and both have been problem free. I've got aftermarket Apex Tactical sears in both as well as Ameriglo/BTC night sights and CT grips. Since installing the sears, the break is crisp with no creep and the reset is positive. I've never shot an XD-M, but Springfield has excellent CS, as does S&W. All new model guns have teething issues. The M&P did, and the XD-M does.

If it makes a difference, them M&P's are built in the U.S.A. and the XD's are not.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

XD no question.

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

[QUOTE=jad628;2258215]Horseshit. Either one is a good choice. Put your hands on both, look at the differences, ask others who have BOTH what they think, and make the best informed choice you can.QUOTE]

see the thing is I have put hands on both and i like the way they both feel (havent had the chance in range time) I do like the fact the M&P is made but I also like the "kit" the XDM comes with I will let yall know next month I should be getting a promotion at work and first check with the extra cash takeing the wife out and then buyin one or.....both lol i wish

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

[QUOTE=tremiles;2258430] All new model guns have teething issues. The M&P did, and the XD-M does.
    QUOTE]

what do you meen by "teething"

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Horseshit. Either one is a good choice.
    XD is a better gun out of the box. Now, M&P Pro, which is only available in 9mm, is better than the XD.

Ive shot both, and the XD40 IS BETTER than the S&W.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Horseshit. Either one is a good choice. Put your hands on both, look at the differences, ask others who have BOTH what they think, and make the best informed choice you can.

I carry a S&W M&P .40 (full size) as my duty gun. It comes with three palm swell inserts for you to customize the grip for your hand size. Our version has no frame mounted safety, but now S&W does have it available. There have been a few people talking about magazine retention issues, but so far, we have had no problems with our department's weapons. I have had zero failures to feed or eject. Accuracy is very good (better than combat grade [5"] but not target grade [2"] at 25 yards). Shoots well with medium to heavier weight loads. That's personal experience.

The XD's have a great reputation as well, but I don't carry one. I'd be surprised if it was not extremely comparable to the M&P. Either gun will be an excellent choice, but do your homework about accessories and options that you feel would be sometihng that interests you in the future for the gun. Consider all that, get the best price you can, slap the money on the barrel head, and never look back. Or buy both now.
    Now your in my sandbox. I am a horseshit expert. I printed off my post.....walked out in the pasture.....laid my post next to a big ol pile of horseshit.....and there is absolutely no comparison.
    Guns are like women.....different folks like different types....

red
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    XD is a better gun out of the box. Now, M&P Pro, which is only available in 9mm, is better than the XD.

Ive shot both, and the XD40 IS BETTER than the S&W.
    40 Pro was announced at Shot, it will be available shortly.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

[quote=txz28;2258586]
    Horseshit. Either one is a good choice. Put your hands on both, look at the differences, ask others who have BOTH what they think, and make the best informed choice you can.QUOTE]

see the thing is I have put hands on both and i like the way they both feel (havent had the chance in range time) I do like the fact the M&P is made but I also like the "kit" the XDM comes with I will let yall know next month I should be getting a promotion at work and first check with the extra cash takeing the wife out and then buyin one or.....both lol i wish
    You' ve narrowed it down to two good guns. Either will serve your purposes well.

All I will caution you about is that some people here are way too biased towards a specific make. You've seen the threads where a basically stock LS1 smokes a 600 HP Cobra

I can't say the M&P is better. What I can say is that I have knowledge of a 1700 member police department's decision to go with it and the results of carrying that model for going on two years. Two dozen guns were part of the testing process, and a dozen of them were intentionally misused to try and break them. This included dropping one of them two stories onto concrete. It still worked until the fourth drop. Others were keep in a box of sand, mud, water, etc., then only shaken out, loaded and fired. The low number of misfires and jams was impressive.

Now gun companies also do these types of tests, but when the company gives you several dozen to test yourself, I think that deserves praise. I'm in no way saying the Springfield isn't up to the task (I have high regard for them as well), but I have REAL, personal, knowledge about the M&P that exceeds just looking at one and firing a few magazines of ammo.

I can't see why the M&P should cost more for you though.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You make excellent point(s)....The MP .40 is $500 delivered w/ no tax from Buds....
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/43719

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

And the XD Tactical is $14 bucks more....
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/32515

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

I chose the XD 40. I liked the knowing I have a round in the chamber from the top slide indicator, the slide has been charged with striker evident, and the 1911esque hand grip safety. The extras that come with it are ok. Just a personal preference I guess. Never had trouble what so ever firing.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    I chose the XD 40. I liked the knowing I have a round in the chamber from the top slide indicator, the slide has been charged with striker evident, and the 1911esque hand grip safety. The extras that come with it are ok. Just a personal preference I guess. Never had trouble what so ever firing.
    I like the 1911esque hand grip safety as well.

Not to hijack the thread, but Kahr needs those. The trigger pull on a Kahr is too short and light for my taste to carry chambered.

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    40 Pro was announced at Shot, it will be available shortly.
    45 pro would be the one to have.

Thread Information