Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    It is a matter if it needs it or not tolerances are built in and things like clutch packs are made to be used with certain fluids, kind of like a limited slip diff if you use the wrong fluid the clutches in the diff won't be able to do there job-same with the transission. As far as getting to hot you have other things than oil that start to break down that I would be more concerned about, and besides that is what coolers are for. I am sure we can go round with this but I will stick with what the engineers who built the transmission tell me to use (I think we can all agree I am not smarter than they are), or my teacher. Every 20,000 miles isn't going to break my bank anyway.
    Tolerances have nothing to do with it. Synthetic Dexron III spec fluid is the same viscosity as conventional Dexron III fluid, they are both compatible with any transmission that requires Dex III. So its not a matter of compatability.

As for the engineers who built the transmission, back when our cars were built synthetic fluids were not as common from the factory. Most manufacturers hadn't switched over yet. If you look at what a brand new 4L65E transmission uses, its Dexron VI, which is a synthetic fluid. Its also backwards compatible with previous Dexron fluids including III. Dex VI is a much improved version of Dex III, with greater friction stability, viscosity stability, and foaming resistance.

Nothing wrong with using regular fluid. Its just that synthetic fluid offers nothing but advantages - reduced wear, longer life, greater thermal resistance. The only downside is that it costs more than regular fluid.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Not sure what it will do in a 4l60E. I used Valvoline stop leak in an old chevy truck I plow snow with a couple winters ago. It had a front seal leak and I had no intention of pulliing the trans and transfer case to get it out in the middle of winter. After two bottles of this stuff spread out over a couple weeks the leak stopped. I'm still using the truck and the leak has not returned yet. The trans in that truck is a 350turbo from 77.
    I know most of those "stop leaks" contain an additive that swells the gasket, so some people who have a gasket left in the leaky area get some result. My concern would be with what that swelling additive does to the valves, solenoid seals, electrical connections etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Tolerances have nothing to do with it. Synthetic Dexron III spec fluid is the same viscosity as conventional Dexron III fluid, they are both compatible with any transmission that requires Dex III. So its not a matter of compatability.

As for the engineers who built the transmission, back when our cars were built synthetic fluids were not as common from the factory. Most manufacturers hadn't switched over yet. If you look at what a brand new 4L65E transmission uses, its Dexron VI, which is a synthetic fluid. Its also backwards compatible with previous Dexron fluids including III. Dex VI is a much improved version of Dex III, with greater friction stability, viscosity stability, and foaming resistance.

Nothing wrong with using regular fluid. Its just that synthetic fluid offers nothing but advantages - reduced wear, longer life, greater thermal resistance. The only downside is that it costs more than regular fluid.
    I have heard the same about synthetics for any application. Always OK to use, never any worse, just can't always justify spending more money.

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

its not official but at my shop we were told that dex III is going to be fazed out by dex VI just like old oil blends have be faxed out by new blends.
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it wasn't for fords our tools would rust

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    its not official but at my shop we were told that dex III is going to be fazed out by dex VI just like old oil blends have be faxed out by new blends.
    That is correct. Dexron VI completely supercedes Dexron III.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

That is correct. Dexron VI completely supercedes Dexron III.
    Do you guys mean Dexron 4(IV)? Dexron VI would be 6.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Do you guys mean Dexron 4(IV)? Dexron VI would be 6.
    Nope, its VI (6). For some reason they skipped over 4 and 5 and went straight to 6...

I know what you mean, I thought the same thing when it came out, "must be IV", buts its really "VI"

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Nope, its VI (6). For some reason they skipped over 4 and 5 and went straight to 6...

I know what you mean, I thought the same thing when it came out, "must be IV", buts its really "VI"
    Wow, didn't know that, but that is odd like you stated, thanks for the clarify.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I myself had a transflush (exchange actually) and had Royal Purple ATF and BG's ATF cleaner and Conditioner added. I had a bit of "hiccups at about 90K and i figuered it was time to get it done. So far no probs of anykind running Royal Purple ATF. Been running it now for 10K Even ran a few runs (like 20) at the local dragstrip. Shifts are firm and consistant.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    I myself had a transflush (exchange actually) and had Royal Purple ATF and BG's ATF cleaner and Conditioner added. I had a bit of "hiccups at about 90K and i figuered it was time to get it done. So far no probs of anykind running Royal Purple ATF. Been running it now for 10K Even ran a few runs (like 20) at the local dragstrip. Shifts are firm and consistant.
    DAt shit be expensive man!!! I was thinking about putting royal purple in mine as I was finishing up my engine build and I think it was gona be over 100 bucks just to refill the trans. uhg!!! It will have to wait. coventional ATF will have to do.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    DAt shit be expensive man!!! I was thinking about putting royal purple in mine as I was finishing up my engine build and I think it was gona be over 100 bucks just to refill the trans. uhg!!! It will have to wait. coventional ATF will have to do.
    I work at a shop so I get it at cost not mark up lol but yeah even then it was still expensive. $136 for 12 quarts is a little crazy. No cost for me on the transflush though I did it lol

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Something to ponder... Ever notice how a lot of additives are super thick? Think about what that is actually doing to already worn internal parts.. The trany filter is designed to filter a smooth light fluid that is hot but consistant. Thick additives are going to hit that filter like it's a wall placing even more stress on an already stressed out hydrolic system to force that thick stuff through the filter. This may cause fluid to bypass the filter.

Seperately, I believe also our cars factory torque converter is triggered to lock up AFTER a sertain temp is achieved.
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-01-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Something to ponder... Ever notice how a lot of additives are super thick? .
    Im gonna have to counter you one that one though. The BG products I used are all super thin. Almost to the consisntancy of 5w20 if not thinner. BG is lke the anti lucus. They believe the additive should work with the original fluid, not replace it or push it around. but i cant scientificly prove that it works any better or worse

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Im gonna have to counter you one that one though. The BG products I used are all super thin. Almost to the consisntancy of 5w20 if not thinner. BG is lke the anti lucus. They believe the additive should work with the original fluid, not replace it or push it around. but i cant scientificly prove that it works any better or worse
    I guess I was more quoting across the additive board really. I generally stear clear of these things. I'm sure you're right about thicknesses of sertain additives. More over I ment about the thick stuff those con artists sell to folks whom don't know better. No need for scientific analasies I'm just an average Joe, I would'nt understand it anywho..

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I guess I was more quoting across the additive board really. I generally stear clear of these things. I'm sure you're right about thicknesses of sertain additives. More over I ment about the thick stuff those con artists sell to folks whom don't know better. No need for scientific analasies I'm just an average Joe, I would'nt understand it anywho..
    yeah me niether I had a BG guy come in one day and show me spectrail anylasis or some kinda crap to prove the difference between their oil additives and I was lost. All I got out of it is that BG has an acid neutralizer

silver
    2000 formula

silver
    2000 formula

and i use wally world dex 6......under $4 a quart

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    and i use wally world dex 6......under $4 a quart
    Probably the same recycled crap that they sell at Advance and Autozone as store brand...

silver
    2000 formula

as long as it meets API specs for dex 6......does not matter to me........just like all the gas tankers here in town get their gas from the same refinery......so that 2.35 gas and the 2.75 gas comes from the same tank
    Last edited by sjsingle1; 03-08-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information