Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Ummm my 98 has 160xxx on the original tranny.......only drivetrain part I've had to replace is my engine tho it did cost 1500 bucks.
    198,xxx on original drivetrain, 02 Yukon SLT 4WD, 100 miles a day, DD... but probably lookin' at a tranny this summer. Especially since she'll be seeing some tow-duty every weekend starting in late May

I picked up my boat down in VA beach, which is like a 3-4 hour ride from my house, and I was using the Tow/Haul mode so it wouldn't keep trying to find a gear. From my understanding these GM trucks, when equipped with a trans cooler, automatically come with the trans temp gauge in the gauge cluster on the lower left corner. Last 30 miles of towing that day, while on the interstate doing about 70 or so, letting off the gas (going downhill) and then getting back on the gas, it would "slip" back into OD... so I pulled over at a gas station as I was getting low on gas, and decided to let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. Was fine after that... 80k miles later, still haven't flushed the trans. Stupid I know, so I'll probably be lookin' at a new one sometime this summer...

Bright Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    Nice clean truck. I had that same year of truck. tranny blew at 80000 miles. 1500 bucks to get it rebuilt. Mechanic says they all go out right before 100000 miles. Needless to say i sold it.
    Original 163,000 mile 4L60E transmission in my old 97 Silverado....never missed a beat. Regular preventative maintenance "fixes" a lot of issues before you have them.

Click for full size

It wasn't exactly babied either...it earned it's keep.

Click for full size

MrMasterCraft: Not sure if it's an SUV thing only, but my 2002 Silverado has the H.D. tow package with tranny & power steering coolers, and I have no separate gauge.

BTW, just shy of 120,000 miles on this one, but the original tranny was replaced at just over 100K, right before I bought it. It was used strictly as an RV trailer tow vehicle for all of those 100K miles though. Lots of people never bother even changing ALL their fluids at least every few years, and those are the ones that suck up those $1500 rebuilds, lol...

The 97 ate up some intake gaskets, supposedly due to the Dex-Cool antifreeze, but for some odd reason GM changed/revised their replacement intake gaskets...kinda tells me it wasn't necessarily a Dex Cool issue, but maybe a inferior gasket issue? I dunno... My 119,000 mile drag raced weekly 2000 Camaro had nothing but Dex Cool in it ever, even after cam swap, and never "ate" a gasket...same goes for my 02 Silverado...still running DexCool in it as well.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 01-16-2010 at 01:50 PM.
    2002 Silverado Z71 ECSB HPTuners tuned by yours truly
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 6.0, 4L80E, 9" rear
    webpage: http://www.fquick.com/rel3rd/

My '98 Sierra has almost 140K on the original tranny.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Thats the problem with GM. Its a hit or miss with those trannys. Some last well over a hundred thousand miles. Others go out well before that. If you go to the website for that generation of truck most of the complaints are about tranny problems.

Lifes A Garden, Dig It!!! 02convertibleT/A's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    Thats the problem with GM. Its a hit or miss with those trannys. Some last well over a hundred thousand miles. Others go out well before that. If you go to the website for that generation of truck most of the complaints are about tranny problems.
    im on both FullSizeChevy.com and GMT400.com and dont see or hear too many complaints about the trannies. there are complaints, there are people with problems. alot are b/c people dont change fluid or cant tell when there is a problem and then its too late and ncaused a lot of other damage.
    Last edited by 02convertibleT/A; 01-18-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    Original 163,000 mile 4L60E transmission in my old 97 Silverado....never missed a beat. Regular preventative maintenance "fixes" a lot of issues before you have them.

Click for full size

It wasn't exactly babied either...it earned it's keep.

Click for full size

MrMasterCraft: Not sure if it's an SUV thing only, but my 2002 Silverado has the H.D. tow package with tranny & power steering coolers, and I have no separate gauge.

BTW, just shy of 120,000 miles on this one, but the original tranny was replaced at just over 100K, right before I bought it. It was used strictly as an RV trailer tow vehicle for all of those 100K miles though. Lots of people never bother even changing ALL their fluids at least every few years, and those are the ones that suck up those $1500 rebuilds, lol...

The 97 ate up some intake gaskets, supposedly due to the Dex-Cool antifreeze, but for some odd reason GM changed/revised their replacement intake gaskets...kinda tells me it wasn't necessarily a Dex Cool issue, but maybe a inferior gasket issue? I dunno... My 119,000 mile drag raced weekly 2000 Camaro had nothing but Dex Cool in it ever, even after cam swap, and never "ate" a gasket...same goes for my 02 Silverado...still running DexCool in it as well.
    I thought there was no water in lsx intakes?

White
    1989 caprice 9C1

Nothing wrong with DEXCOOL the problem was with the first generation of gaskets once I have replace many of them and NEVER had a problem after replacing em and refilling with dexcool, also from the factory the intake bolts where incorrectly torqued.
    My Old 97
    Last edited by Ironroad9c1; 01-22-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Thread Information