Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Our points are close but the driver mod is by far more important then the machine mod in my eyes. And I was using Mario as a example not as what was needed. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink The Make

Despite our comparison of price based on Domestic Vehicles.... take the Porsche Carrerra 911 Turbo... though it's a 6, it will easily take an Fbody any day of the week...... The Porsche also maneuvers much better than both the Corvette or a Trans Am based on many factors including weight destribution.

The more the mass, the longer will it take to slow down the moving object.

Based on this thread, what justifies a vehicle's price is based on the integrity of the manufacture, performance, and name. Throw a Z06 engine into a New Ford Pinto body, I doubt you can even get close to 5k for the vehicle. Justification is based on the whole package.

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I'm sure it wouldn't take Mario in a C6 to beat you in your camaro. My point is while a good driver can make up the difference so can a good car. I'm quite sure a driver with a little less ability then you could beat you in a C6 because the car handles better then yours. In the end it's not always about the driver the equipment matters a lot too.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

BlackSS01, I think you're jumping to a generalization that is inaccurate. Maybe I am just abnormal. My vette is paid for, I have no bills, am single, make $72k/year, and I have $50k in the bank. I can afford a new Z06 and it wouldn't even affect my day to day life. I just don't like the way the C5 Z06 looks. Also, in my mind a Z06 has marginal performance improvements over a "baseline" C5. Shocks, springs, and a cam makes the cars pretty much equal excepting the 150 lbs or so that the Z06 has in weight adavantage. In fact, I'm sure if I pick the aftermarket springs/shocks/cam that I want to, I could make my vette outperform the Z06 on a roadcourse. Honestly though, I don't really have a desire to modify it.

The fact is that I didn't purchase my Corvette for its performance. I wanted a performance car because I'm fond of spirited driving. However, I have a 1200hp mustang and I don't need another spectacular car. I chose it over a Cobra, a new mustang GT, GT500, and over a Z06 because it is exactly the car I was looking for. Something classy, comfortable, fun to drive, stylish, and it's also nice that C5s are somewhat financially responsible. The car gets good gas mileage, is actually cheap on insurance by comparison to the other cars I was looking at, and it is at the point where depreciation will have a negligable impact (a few percent a year). Even if a Z06 were equal in value, I'd have chosen what I have. I certainly don't want a new Z06 because I think it's wiser to save my money for other things. However, the price difference between my car and a Z06 was negligible in my decision making.

Later,

Chris

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    By C5 poor mans vette, I mean I don't give a C5 another look. I usually think someone couldn't afford a Z06 and just bought what they can afford being the base model. If you are buying a vette there is no reason to not get the Z06 unless you can't afford it, it is better is every aspect of performance and styling. Thats what I mean about that. And with the person saying you should drive what you own, I AGREE SO MUCH. My friends tell me all the time, "Damn for letting your car sit all winter it has alot of miles." I then respond with "I bought the car to enjoy not to let it sit every minute." I am not saying the base model is junk because I would take one over a mustang any day of the week, I just don't like them and think they are over priced. I am glad I never bought the 01 I had papers filled out for.
    knowing quite a few vette owners i can tell you that almost all of them are not looking for every last once of performance from a vette, sales numbers back that up.
    why pay Z06 money when you dont want that kind of performance.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    BlackSS01, I think you're jumping to a generalization that is inaccurate. Maybe I am just abnormal. My vette is paid for, I have no bills, am single, make $72k/year, and I have $50k in the bank. I can afford a new Z06 and it wouldn't even affect my day to day life. I just don't like the way the C5 Z06 looks. Also, in my mind a Z06 has marginal performance improvements over a "baseline" C5. Shocks, springs, and a cam makes the cars pretty much equal excepting the 150 lbs or so that the Z06 has in weight adavantage. In fact, I'm sure if I pick the aftermarket springs/shocks/cam that I want to, I could make my vette outperform the Z06 on a roadcourse. Honestly though, I don't really have a desire to modify it.

The fact is that I didn't purchase my Corvette for its performance. I wanted a performance car because I'm fond of spirited driving. However, I have a 1200hp mustang and I don't need another spectacular car. I chose it over a Cobra, a new mustang GT, GT500, and over a Z06 because it is exactly the car I was looking for. Something classy, comfortable, fun to drive, stylish, and it's also nice that C5s are somewhat financially responsible. The car gets good gas mileage, is actually cheap on insurance by comparison to the other cars I was looking at, and it is at the point where depreciation will have a negligable impact (a few percent a year). Even if a Z06 were equal in value, I'd have chosen what I have. I certainly don't want a new Z06 because I think it's wiser to save my money for other things. However, the price difference between my car and a Z06 was negligible in my decision making.

Later,

Chris
    i want to see the dyno on your "1200hp mustang".

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    i want to see the dyno on your "1200hp mustang".
    EDIT: originally this message linked you to my combo with pics of the engine and had an explanation of the 1200hp statement (and it is an accurate statement), but you became a dick in the other thread before you read it, apparently. So, want in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up first.
    Last edited by Chris Arnold; 03-20-2008 at 09:15 PM.

torch red
    99 c5

Well here it is.. EVERYONE from young to old knows what a corvette is. NOT everyone knows what a f body or a gto is. A corvette just puts you up on like a pedestal. people notice you i've drove a mustang and a f body trans am. It ain't the same. get a vette and just see how people treat you different. etc.. It's like a whole different world

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

EVERYONE knows what a Camaro and a TransAm are. Shit they have been around quite a long time. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Camaro has been out since 1966 or 67. I don't know if people treat you different for having a nice car, I wouldn't want to be around people like that. My car should mean nothing. Just my .02
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

pewter
    2000 C5

I've owned 7 mustangs and played with all of them. I bought my first C5(poor mans vette) a few years ago. In stock trim my corvette was more fun than my hopped up mustangs. I like the look of my so called base C5 over that of the Z06. Being a guy that likes mods my C5 has more hp than A C6 Z06. With the cost of the car plus mods I'ts easy to see if I wanted A C5 Z06 thats what I would be driving.some people just like what they like!

Black, Black
    2000 Vette, 2006 MC SS

[QUOTE=blackSS01;1366431]By C5 poor mans vette, I mean I don't give a C5 another look. I usually think someone couldn't afford a Z06 and just bought what they can afford being the base model. If you are buying a vette there is no reason to not get the Z06 unless you can't afford it, it is better is every aspect of performance and styling. Thats what I mean about that.

I can't say I agree with this statement. I own a 2000 corvette, and when I baught it in 2002 the Z06 only came in a hardtop. I for one think that the hard top Z06 looks funny. The coupe version just looks more slick and aerodynamic. Also not a good cruising vehicle to take to the beach, because the top does not come off of the Z06. Poor, the new car price for my vette was over 47k. I work at a Chevrolet dealership as a technician and the camaro's have never been faster than a c5 or newer vette....bar none. FYI... the c5 Z06 only had 50 more horsepower than a base vette and the brake upgrade was hardly noticeable, even on the track. Put a ls6 intake, cold air, and full length headers on a base c5 and make the same power.

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by c5andtyphoon View Post
    Well here it is.. EVERYONE from young to old knows what a corvette is. NOT everyone knows what a f body or a gto is. A corvette just puts you up on like a pedestal. people notice you i've drove a mustang and a f body trans am. It ain't the same. get a vette and just see how people treat you different. etc.. It's like a whole different world
    As much as I hate stereotypes this statement is true. People just look at you different, treat you different……. and none of it is called for. I was looking into a 09 viper but couldn’t settle on an agreeable price with the dealer, flew to Kentucky to see and hopefully buy the car. On the way back I had an epiphany, why drop that amount of cash, in a recession. This led me to ask what my goal was. At the end of the day I was after a better level of engineering and a style of car that was appealing to me. I settled on a used c6 and it met my goal at a much lower cost. The 02 T/A I had was not near the car the C6 is, whole different level, yes, you can modify the T/A to have the same or higher HP but the problem will then be more HP then the car is designed for. By the time you upgrade the suspension, rear end and engine you could have found yourself a vette and have a car that is designed to handle the higher speeds more safely. Everyone should get what meets their needs…..be happy for the next guy that pulls up in a nice car, who cares what he paid for it (he’s paying for it not you so whatever, right?) And if he’s a snooty DB look at is a if it one isolated case and move on. All our cars are great looking, enjoy them make them your own, rims, mods, change up the paint whatever, the only one that has to appreciate it at the end of the day is you.

black
    02 vette vert

holy resurrection batman!

Thread Information