Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1forlife View Post
    Basically? I had two c5s. and Just bought a z05 a few days ago. They are not even close. besides the frame, engine, trans, brakes, suspension,glass, they pretty much are the same. If you just forget all those little things, then yes they are the same.
    You are right. Those things are different. But for a person like me, who will be doing a cam/head/trans/stall and fi... the little difference in the glass and frame doesn't matter to me. Also I happen to like the hatch better than the trunk.
    Obviously the z06 is a better performer stock for stock. No one is arguing that.
    I was just giving My personal opinion from My experience with my c5. And for what I want to do... A reg c5 was the smartest choice.
    Oh and when I said ''basically'' I meant the engine. Maybe if I had said LS6 Hatch, and not Z06 Hatch. chillax. haha
    BTW this smiley cracks me up haha
    Last edited by ff_jeff; 12-02-2009 at 11:09 PM.

torch red
    1998 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by ff_jeff View Post
    You are right. Those things are different. But for a person like me, who will be doing a cam/head/trans/stall and fi... the little difference in the glass and frame doesn't matter to me. Also I happen to like the hatch better than the trunk.
    Obviously the z06 is a better performer stock for stock. No one is arguing that.
    I was just giving My personal opinion from My experience with my c5. And for what I want to do... A reg c5 was the smartest choice.
    Oh and when I said ''basically'' I meant the engine. Maybe if I had said LS6 Hatch, and not Z06 Hatch. chillax. haha
    BTW this smiley cracks me up haha
    all good things. but if your going to spend all that time and money in a c5, why not just get a z06? i got my z06 for less then most ppl selling regular c5s. its worth the intial spending. but thats just my opinion. i know you like the hatch. and i like the targa top.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

The Z06 never had a removable top though right?

torch red
    1998 Corvette

the c5 didnt. the c6 might though??

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by ls1forlife View Post
    the c5 didnt. the c6 might though??
    Nope, z06 is hard top so is the zr1. Its a performance car, removable tops only hurt performance.

torch red
    1998 Corvette

heard some talk about the 10' z06....

i dont think the targa hurts performace, frc just have more frame braces.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I personally don't think a removable top hurts performance. You can stiffen up the chassis in plenty of other ways.

torch red
    1998 Corvette

i agree

Hatches have removable plastic tops too... And I got a c5 cause I like auto's. The M6 is fun, but Im a fan of stalls.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I personally don't think a removable top hurts performance. You can stiffen up the chassis in plenty of other ways.
    Then you guys are crazy. The idea of just stiffen it up in otherways only makes me ask well what if you start with a hard top and then add those stiffen methods that car would stil lbe better. You want your car to do something right start with the better platform and make it even better.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-04-2009 at 05:51 AM.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

With the C6, GM experimented with a removable top, but due to excessive flex from the aluminum frame, it was omitted.
    As long as the Z06/ZR1 have aluminum frames, they will not have the removable top.
    I must say that I honestly don't miss the feature, but...
    My daily driver is a convertable, and I have owned targa top cars (not Corvettes) before.

torch red
    1998 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Then you guys are crazy. The idea of just stiffen it up in otherways only makes me ask well what if you start with a hard top and then add those stiffen methods that car would stil lbe better. You want your car to do something right start with the better platform and make it even better.
    No we are not crazy. A FRC/Z06 is stiffer because it uses frame supports off a vert corvette. the hard top is just a shell.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

How maintenance friendly are c5s, c5 z06s, even a c6 vs. an F-body?

I mean can a simple mechanic like myself do everything I need to do in my garage? The only thing I haven't tried yet is the cam swap or and engine swap, so besides that I guess.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

I mean can a simple mechanic like myself do everything I need to do in my garage? The only thing I haven't tried yet is the cam swap or and engine swap, so besides that I guess.
    c5s are about the same, you can acually acsess almost the whole motor when you open the hood unlike f bods

You just have to accommodate for things. Like oil changes. You need to lift the car off the ground, unless you are only6 inches wide when you lay on the ground. Cam and engine should be fairly strait forward. Also if you use a lift/jack... You need to buy/make pucks. Cant just jack it up anywhere you want. You can damage the body if you dont know what your doing. Dealer should still service trans IMO. Since its sealed. Thats about the biggest hurdle I have noticed (ride height) Also things are in tighter spaces. Like the ecm, you have to remove the wheel, and well. Everything pretty much needs a lift on a c5.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ff_jeff View Post
    You just have to accommodate for things. Like oil changes. You need to lift the car off the ground, unless you are only6 inches wide when you lay on the ground. Cam and engine should be fairly strait forward. Also if you use a lift/jack... You need to buy/make pucks. Cant just jack it up anywhere you want. You can damage the body if you dont know what your doing. Dealer should still service trans IMO. Since its sealed. Thats about the biggest hurdle I have noticed (ride height) Also things are in tighter spaces. Like the ecm, you have to remove the wheel, and well. Everything pretty much needs a lift on a c5.
    f-bods are no different, i'm a fit kid and i cant fit under mine, its not lowered either

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I'm in agreement with ff Jeff, my lowered Z06 is the only car I've ever owned that I simply cannot get a jack under after lowering her.
    I actually pay my Mechanic/Tuner to do the oil changes. He's also right about the pucks, you can't just slap that jack under the car and raise her up.
    I had lowered my 01 SS Camaro, but I was still able to get the jack under her, not so with the Vette.
    I don't mind paying someone for the reason that I don't drive her much, (takes a while to rack up 5k miles) and I want records of the oil changes so that Heaven forbid, if something breaks in the motor, I have them.

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

Purchase C5 or CTSV

Personally I'd move on a Clean one owner 04 Z06

But at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.

Three years ago I bought a 03 50Th anniversary C5 Z06 for 25k off the local BMW Dealer.

And I feel I got more than my Moneys worth by buying this car.

As of Sep 09 the thing has been "Paid Off"

And Now Let The Mods Begin !

Bon

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well I'm going to read a lot more then. I think a lowered, suspension built Trans Am would be fun and look sweet, and a bit cheaper than a z06. I'm hijacking this thread...i'll just go read some more....

Thread Information