Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I might have also needed to add that the reason for the distributor discussion was for this reason, if i put it in the ss and use all the factory stuff. I know the coil conv is great and will be doing that when its time for the 67.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by dirttrax View Post
    Ok sorry, I prob wasnt clear enough. I have two lt1, one is in my totaled ta, the other is just a long block that has some mods. Im going to take the built lt1 and the fuel injection off the ta and put them in my 67 camaro. So im gonna wind up with a stock long block lt, and since I have a ss with a blown motor, I wanted to put in it and use the TBI so i would still have easy starts on cold mornings. Not looking to make it a hotrod just a driver. Ive got a s-10 with 383 with carb so not looking to have another one thats hard to crank.
    And yes im planning on the coil swap for the 67. Hope this is a little more clear, and thanks again for all ur responses.
    OK, so why do a distributor change? Part of what makes Modern fuel injected motors easy to start is the computers abillity to change the timing slightly and provide a cold start fuel mixture. If you run a typical distrib the PCM looses one of it's control factors. As much as people hate the opti it really isn't that bad. The repair bill is!!! It just wont last as long without total reaplacement, but thats around 80 to 100K anyway. Most guys modding out an LT1 are going to end up using it again anyway just because it is easier and cheaper than a coil conversion. Coil conversion has it's place and advantages but cold starts isn't really one. The only major pain in the ass is changing an opti. A vented opti is less likley to have problems as long as you don't go and soak it. Stock PCM can be tuned to make the mod lt1 run like a champ and things you don't need like rear 02's programed out. Stock harnes from an LT1 only needs power to work right. If it were me I would use the opti and keep it simple if all your doing is making a DD. Lots of people use it everyday. Coil conversion can be done anytime after the motros in and running so I would keep it simple for now.

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    OK, so why do a distributor change? Part of what makes Modern fuel injected motors easy to start is the computers abillity to change the timing slightly and provide a cold start fuel mixture. If you run a typical distrib the PCM looses one of it's control factors. As much as people hate the opti it really isn't that bad. The repair bill is!!! It just wont last as long without total reaplacement, but thats around 80 to 100K anyway. Most guys modding out an LT1 are going to end up using it again anyway just because it is easier and cheaper than a coil conversion. Coil conversion has it's place and advantages but cold starts isn't really one. The only major pain in the ass is changing an opti. A vented opti is less likley to have problems as long as you don't go and soak it. Stock PCM can be tuned to make the mod lt1 run like a champ and things you don't need like rear 02's programed out. Stock harnes from an LT1 only needs power to work right. If it were me I would use the opti and keep it simple if all your doing is making a DD. Lots of people use it everyday. Coil conversion can be done anytime after the motros in and running so I would keep it simple for now.

Again I prob wasnt clear. The fuel injection and harness and themodded lt1 are to go into my 67 camaro later on, so all i have left is a long block that I want to put in my ss truck. So that means I cant use the opti? correct? because of nothing to run it. So thats why I was asking bout using dist and tbi that came stock on the ss. I know it wont be a power house, just want it dependable, or driveable without going with another big block. thanks again

Thread Information