yankss3200 and tune or just tune?

for a stock 345hp car and ar headers only do you think a stall is really needed. or is just removing the torque management and a tune is enough? car is just a sunny day driver. but i like to go fast like everyone else. never driven a stalled auto before thats why im asking.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Def get a high stall converter!!!

right now i have bf goodrich kds for tires if i power brake it i cant keep the car from going sideways now.i would really just like the shifts to be firmer and more crisp. i know at the dragstrip with drag radials the converter will kick ass. just trying to decide if i should do the stall or not. thanks for any help.

white
    01 formula

do you plan on doing any major mods? i would say if you just want crisp shifts look at the tread titled transgo hd 2 input, itll tell you how to get the tires to chirp when it shifts to second. if you wantto be competitive in races a stall will help if your diving it and want to get decent mpg then stay with stock or maybe a 2500 stall ,but a stall mans taking out the trans and if you do that then you migt as well build your trans for performance which ends up making you want to do more (not a bad thing if you have the money), so really its all what you wanna do with the car in the future

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by fieropope View Post
    do you plan on doing any major mods? i would say if you just want crisp shifts look at the tread titled transgo hd 2 input, itll tell you how to get the tires to chirp when it shifts to second. if you wantto be competitive in races a stall will help if your diving it and want to get decent mpg then stay with stock or maybe a 2500 stall ,but a stall mans taking out the trans and if you do that then you migt as well build your trans for performance which ends up making you want to do more (not a bad thing if you have the money), so really its all what you wanna do with the car in the future
    the stall wont firm up your shifts. like firepope said go for the shift kit. that is what definitely will properly firm up your shifts. the shift kit and a solid tune(not a handheld) will give you great gains all around, from mpg to hp/tq to reliability.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Def get a high stall converter!!!
    x2, best mod for an LS1/4l60E combo.

my long term plans for the car are the ar headers, a cam, a tune and the converter. car has only 10k miles so tranny should not need rebuild. it has 3.23 gears might just go with a 3000 stall. and a cam that is good thru the whole powerband.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by m1a2d3 View Post
    my long term plans for the car are the ar headers, a cam, a tune and the converter. car has only 10k miles so tranny should not need rebuild. it has 3.23 gears might just go with a 3000 stall. and a cam that is good thru the whole powerband.
    well since you plan on a cam then when you decide on the cam that will tell you what kind of converter you will need. remember this phrase for your build. "complementing parts". a cam with a converter for a stock engine leaves room for improvement, as opposed to a converter that is matched to the cam's powerband. which will give you the most out of your set up.

one of my largest problems with doing the mods is everyone seems to have a different opinion on what is the best cam/ converter for the car. im not an expert on it. just want to do it right once.

Black
    2000 Z-28

3600 minimum esp if you plan on getting a cam.

im going to call yank this week talk to one of their techs. also might try calling another shop. the one im dealing with does not seem to want to recommend the exact cam and stall. maybe there afraid if they do and i dont like it ill blame them. im not trying to build the fastest car just want a little more than stock without killing the drivability.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by m1a2d3 View Post
    im going to call yank this week talk to one of their techs. also might try calling another shop. the one im dealing with does not seem to want to recommend the exact cam and stall. maybe there afraid if they do and i dont like it ill blame them. im not trying to build the fastest car just want a little more than stock without killing the drivability.
    Sounds like a 228r. A relatively small cam that is an awesome bump in power and great drive ability. But when you make a solid choice on the cam then call yank or whatever stall company you decide to go with and they will easily match up the stall to your cam.

white
    01 formula

as said if your getting a cam then your stall should be matched to the cams powerband ex:the cam starts making good power at 3000 rpms then you want around 3000 rpm stall .no more as to not waste power,no less so you dont make the car gutless at launch thats the genral idea of the cam/stall setup.

Thread Information