Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Kids keep blowing speakers--what do you recommend?

I need some new rear speakers, my damn kids keep blowing my speakers out.
    Do you guys have some brand/make or size that you like for the rear of my 2000 Formula?

I would like your suggestions; I need to keep it fairly simple as I have advanced degenerative disk disease and can't wrench much anymore.

I saw the wiring diagram and that will help. But at this point I think I will replace the two smaller speakers in rear corner panels, with a combined speaker. Install guides say 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 will work, but it might be pushing it by looking at it. Do I have a depth limit to?

What do you folks recommend? I don't want to spend more then $200 to $250 for the replacements.

By the way, my son replaced my stock stereo with a high performance stereo from Sony that was over $200. Personally, I liked the stock stereo just fine, but then, I don't listen to the rap crap--I am 53 now.

JC

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i say get new kids

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

um what speakers are getting blown...i blew out my speakers...from listen to music with the t-tops off..and that they are just shitty speakers..i got some infinite kappa 62.i i think..and just eliminated my rear speakers and running 4 of them total...dont quote me i will get you the model i used..but be warned..it eliminated all of/most of my bass..but i am a crisp/clean/clear kind of guy though...even for my rap

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Two options: Install a higher rated aftermarket speaker that can handle the abuse. Or, you can install a bass blocker in line with the speaker to filter out the low hertz frequencies that generally blow the speaker at high volume levels.

This will adversely affect the sound quality as the system will not have as much bass to it -- but you will not be swapping out the speakers everytime the kids borrow the car. Probably cut frequencies below 100 -125 Hz. Any car audio shop would have the stuff to do this rather easily. If you want to be stealth, wire in a bypass so you can get the bass, but the kids can't.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

Get a good head unit (Pioneer Premier)

Then you can tune all the speakers in the car to only let a certain amount of bass to pass thru them. (HPF - High Pass Filter) And if you happen to have a sub woofer, you can restrict let bass thru that separately.

My favorite cd player is the Pioneer Premier DEH-590IB and the Pioneer Premier DEH-510UB ... Best bang for the buck for sure.

00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Bass Blockers = High Pass Filters

For an example: http://www.crutchfield.com/app/produ...=bass+blockers

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Bass Blockers = High Pass Filters

For an example: http://www.crutchfield.com/app/produ...=bass+blockers
    Ya, but those are permanent and non adjustable.
    For certain songs you might need a little more or less bass to make it sound decent.

The Sony CD player currently in the car should have a High Pass Filter included somewhere in the audio options menu. Should say something like 'HPF' , the higher the number you pick, the less bass is released thru the all speakers.

I usually run mine about 125, but I have a subwoofer

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

First thing a kid is going to do is figure out and disable the HPF and let it BOOM. That's why I suggested a bypass of the blocker for adult listening. Anything the OP does to solve this issue will be better than replacing speakers all the time...

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

If you never drive the car, just the kid, I would do what pajeff02 suggests, and add a set of new rear speakers at the time. That's just me though, I like being in control of the amount of bass let thru the speakers.

Pioneer Premier speakers would be the best bet, IMO.
    Or you can get some infinity speakers, they might be a little more $$

crutchfield.com is extremely overpriced, but a good place to shop around and see what is out there. (and what speakers fit your car specifically)

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Thanks for all the great advice-especially re kids

Thanks everyone. It was the rear side panel speakers. They look like a 5" or 6" round with a 2" tweeter. I think I will check out the Infinity, Pioneer and maybe Sony. Looks like there is room for a 5x7 on rear sides. IN back seat sides, it looks like a 6" round.

I know nothing about 2-way, 3-way, 4-way, etc. The Monsoon was a fair stereo stock, or I thought so. It DOES have a nice head unit now, I think my son was given it in lieu of money loaned (about $300). Is wiring pretty straight forward? I suspect I could not hope that the connectors would be standardized (knowing GM!)??? If I just upgrade the speakers, I don't need to ad an AMP do I? I think my son said this was over 500 watts. What level of watts should I shoot for in the rear sides? 200 watt or 240 watt, or is that overkill? MAYBE I should take it to Best Buy or a Stereo shop.

Better yet, SELL IT and drive the CORVETTE!
    I REALLY DO MISS MY FIREHAWK! If I could have found one w/low miles, based on a Formula, I would have never bought the C6.

Thanks for the filter idea, that will be a must. No, I don't think they will know how to defeat that. I might add a kicker with a quick disconect that I can undo when I drive it.

As it is now, the kids are basically NOT going to drive it anymore, unless there is an emergency. I am fixing it up to look like my old 2002 Firehawk. I might even drop in a nast LSX 427ci 500hp monster, plus tranny, plus rearend.

Has anyone done AirRide on the Fbodys?
    Last edited by C6 Corvette; 04-08-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: additioin

black
    2002 WS6

Another trick is to install a low amperage fuse in the speaker line. I don;t have my books handy on how to figure out the calculations, but it's popular way to protect cheaper PA speakers with out any processing or limiting on the supplying amp.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by C6 Corvette View Post
    I need some new rear speakers, my damn kids keep blowing my speakers out.
    Do you guys have some brand/make or size that you like for the rear of my 2000 Formula?

I would like your suggestions; I need to keep it fairly simple as I have advanced degenerative disk disease and can't wrench much anymore.

I saw the wiring diagram and that will help. But at this point I think I will replace the two smaller speakers in rear corner panels, with a combined speaker. Install guides say 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 will work, but it might be pushing it by looking at it. Do I have a depth limit to?

What do you folks recommend? I don't want to spend more then $200 to $250 for the replacements.

By the way, my son replaced my stock stereo with a high performance stereo from Sony that was over $200. Personally, I liked the stock stereo just fine, but then, I don't listen to the rap crap--I am 53 now.

JC
    Make the kids pay for the new ones and your problem should stop

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    best advice right there.

that's a move my father would do to me. anything i wanted in or on my 1st car ('69 Impala Caprice Classic Coupe), i had to pay for myself. if i blew/broke something, money to fix it came out of my pocket. i learned real quick...

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i have always had good luck with aftermarket infinity speakers, but i must admit over the past few yrs i have kinda gotten out of the car system loop

Orange/Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Yes, best advice by far! When my 2 youngest were 16 and 19 and both beating up their civic and beemer, the cars spent more time in our home based body/paint shop than on the streets with my husband putting countless labor hours and money for materials to fix them. Finally I put my foot down and told my husband the next time the boys could either drive their cars with their self inflicted bumps n dents or they could sit dead in the driveway until they coughed up their own funds to fix them. Only had to do that once and the problem fixed
    I'm a CHICK with a gun and an LS1, nuff said...

1999 CAMARO SS #81 of 4829
    LS6 intake * 3.73's * Borla catback * L/T Headers
    ZO6 18's * MSD/NGK * SLP Lid/Bellows * KYB Adjustables
    Summit Racing Springs * Fresh paint/interior in 08

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I am on a budget...and have a blown sail panel speaker and a blown front door speaker in my T/A.
    Granted, these are replacements for the Monsoon junk, not sure if you have that or not.

1.) Bazookas DVC subwoofers for sails: $119.00/pair
    2.) CDT CL-6E drivers for the doors: $79.00/pair
    3.) 100watt piezo tweeters (better then stock) FREE
    4.) Shipping: FREE

From 'Kee Audio'.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    best advice right there.

that's a move my father would do to me. anything i wanted in or on my 1st car ('69 Impala Caprice Classic Coupe), i had to pay for myself. if i blew/broke something, money to fix it came out of my pocket. i learned real quick...

It doesn't matter what you put in there , they'll just blow those too as long as you keep paying for new speakers!
    I bet new speakers will last a lot longer if they have to pay for them.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post

It doesn't matter what you put in there , they'll just blow those too as long as you keep paying for new speakers!
    I bet new speakers will last a lot longer if they have to pay for them.
    I was just going to post this. Fastest way to stop that... make them pay for it.

Thread Information