Thread: Advice

Pewter
    1999 Camaro

Advice

I have a 1999 z-28 LS1 6 speed.. it started making like a bird chirping noise when its ideling and even when im driving.. any thoughts of what it could be? it also makes another noise when i dont have the clutch pushed in?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

can you get audio or video of it???

Red
    01 ECSB Z71 & 89 Iroc-Z

Quote Originally Posted by -Hot Sause- View Post
    I have a 1999 z-28 LS1 6 speed.. it started making like a bird chirping noise when its ideling and even when im driving.. any thoughts of what it could be? it also makes another noise when i dont have the clutch pushed in?
    Sounds like your idler pulley, or possibly alternator pulley. Describe the other noise.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro

i thought it was oil on the pulley but i took some degreaser to it and no luck with that.. it sounds like litterally a bird chirping when its just idling ( like a high pitched noise )...

i also had another question.. is there anyway to get rid of the "skip shift".. evertime i want to go from 1st to 2nd the damn thing comes on and if i try to shift it grinds up my clutch...so i have to wait for the RPM's to get real low before i can shift to 2nd.

black
    2002 WS6

I would say Idler pully. my truck was making that nose and one of the idlers was nearly gone.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro

ok thanks.. i will check that idler pulley out

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

does the sound go away when the car is nice and warm? could be something simple like a belt, mine used to make a chrip like you are describing.

and for the skip shift you have a few options,
    get it tuned out
    buy one of those "skip shift eliminators"
    hook up a resistor to it... http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13828

cheers

Pewter
    1999 Camaro

No thats the thing it doesnt go away at all.. its real annoying too... but thanks for the info on the eliminator

Silver
    98 Trans Am

mine did the same thing. First thing that i did was to pull the AC fuse (so you dont send a code or something like that) and then take the AC Belt off completely. Its easy to do if it goes away then it was either your AC tensioner or the AC compressor. If it wasn't it than at least you know something else beside that is squeaking.. Also if it is your belt and if you don't care about how clean your engine bay is, pour baby powder ( yes, baby powder) on the belt. seriously, it will stop it.. thats my .02

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Just a thought, depending on the mileage you have you might try some water pump lubicant. They make verious types for both standard coolant and synthetics. Just a guess but it maybe you water pump showing its age. Sometimes if a car sits for long periods of time this noise can happen too. It wont hurt to try mine did the samething and as soon as I added the lubricant to my coolent the sound stoppped and never came back. Just something to try.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Just a thought, depending on the mileage you have you might try some water pump lubicant. They make verious types for both standard coolant and synthetics. Just a guess but it maybe you water pump showing its age. Sometimes if a car sits for long periods of time this noise can happen too. It wont hurt to try mine did the samething and as soon as I added the lubricant to my coolent the sound stoppped and never came back. Just something to try.

Never heard of this....

I have 157k and I have replaced everything.

Idler make the most noise, one for the main drive one for the AC drive. The AC drive you can regrease. The AC tensioner gave a helleva whine to it especially if drove on wet roads.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post

Never heard of this....

I have 157k and I have replaced everything.

Idler make the most noise, one for the main drive one for the AC drive. The AC drive you can regrease. The AC tensioner gave a helleva whine to it especially if drove on wet roads.
    Yeah it was usually more common on the older v8s and v6s but it sometimes still can happen. Sometimes it can be the only sign before the water pump fails. It may not be the problem but like I said the luricant wont harm the pump so if that isnt the trouble you've lost nothing but a couple bucks for adding the lube. Also I've purchased parts that where bad right off the shelf.
    Some rebuilders use substandard aftermarket parts in rebuilds. Even used original parts. I worked for a shop that did this a few years back and their policy was (we don't make money if every part is a new part). But this seems more common in starter and alts though. Another thing is if you live in an area that uses salt on the roads in winter. It seems the 93-02 f-bodies have a tendancy to "scoop" salty mist from cars in front of you and deposit it right on the front of the engine. Salt is very hard on rubber seals and rotating parts. I have a 2001 Camaro that sits most of winter but I have run it in the winter. Then found in the spring time salt had built up just about everywhere forward of the engine block. Even nearly choking out my rad. But I could go on and on. If you've tried everything else and the sound don't go away give the lube a shot, nothin to lose. I don't know how experianced you are with the f-body but I've owned 4 two 3rd gens and 2 4th gens and never owned a vehicle that wasn't a GM. Not to poke at you but just because you never heard of something don't mean it don't exist. Ref Advanced Auto. The advise was also for Hot-Sause-LOL. Don't mean to tick you off though.
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-18-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: THE SMILEY WITH THE BS FLAG

98 Formula
    06 duramax

9 out of 10 times it'll be a pulley on these cars. Take a long handled screwdriver and put the handle end up to your ear and touch the tip near or on the base of all the pulleys and if it's a pulley you'll know it.

disclaimer: Be very careful using the redneck stethoscope and don't get your face or the screwdriver caught in the belt. Both scenario's end badly. A length of busted broom handle works also.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Circa307 View Post
    mine did the same thing. First thing that i did was to pull the AC fuse (so you dont send a code or something like that) and then take the AC Belt off completely. Its easy to do if it goes away then it was either your AC tensioner or the AC compressor. If it wasn't it than at least you know something else beside that is squeaking.. Also if it is your belt and if you don't care about how clean your engine bay is, pour baby powder ( yes, baby powder) on the belt. seriously, it will stop it.. thats my .02
    Agreed, my car does the same bird chirp noise. It is the AC clutch that is the culprit, so it's either get a new AC compressor, or rip it out.....

Pewter
    1999 Camaro

thanks.. i appreciate the help
    "BOATS & HOES"

Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    9 out of 10 times it'll be a pulley on these cars. Take a long handled screwdriver and put the handle end up to your ear and touch the tip near or on the base of all the pulleys and if it's a pulley you'll know it.

disclaimer: Be very careful using the redneck stethoscope and don't get your face or the screwdriver caught in the belt. Both scenario's end badly. A length of busted broom handle works also.
    LOL. Or you can actually get a stethoscope made for that purpose at Harbor Frieght for $6 and save your face and digits.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
    LOL. Or you can actually get a stethoscope made for that purpose at Harbor Frieght for $6 and save your face and digits.
    I already own a screwdriver.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

another angle on the chirp. a while back i spun a conecting rod bering on a mopar 383 by over reving it and it made a loud chirping noise. it could be something from the rotating assambly. dose the chirp increase with the rpm of the motor? does it sound internal?

Thread Information