black
    98 trans am

Question monsoon speakers

i have a 98 trans am and it has the monsoon 6 speaker system, the two speakers in the back seat are blown and the rest are good. Do i have to replace them with the same speakers that it came with or can i go to any car audio store and buy something as good or better and put in their place? Will that affect the other 4 speakers? thanks for the advice guys

shouldaboughtthez

Re: monsoon speakers

Those speakers are the subs in the system. Trans Am's have DVC subs. You can either buy used stock speakers from someone, or find some aftermarket speakers. Stock speakers are 2ohm, so you might want to find something close to that.

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

my advice is if you blow a monsoon speaker then find another monsoon speaker to replace it. if you try to put an aftermarket speaker in the place of the monsoon speaker it wont sound nearly as good as the monsoon speaker simply because the monsoon system is setup pretty much just for monsoon stuff... if you're going to replace your stock speakers you honestly have to replace everything to aftermarket... i'm meaning from the headunit.... amp... all speakers.. might as well upgrade to all new wires too while you're at it. i'm talking from experience... i tried putting some nice 6.5s in the rear of my white TA after they blew and you could barely hear them. they were same ohms and all as monsoon but just sounded like they weren't there.

so in short replace monsoon with monsoon unless you want to go all the way to replace it all (best route)

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/IDSCX62

people have tried to use aftermarket speakers with their monsoon system, and most of them always sound muffled or too quiet.
    thats because most aftermarket speakers are 4ohms, not 2ohms like the monsoon system. The link I provided are 2ohm midbass,
    and sounds great.

They will work your car better then a factory replacement, plus theyre not paper cones either!!
    Last edited by ibanez7; 08-17-2005 at 12:50 PM.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Don't think for a minute that replacing the factory speakers with after-market speakers is going to keep them from blowing like the stockers did. The factory HU puts out a LOT of distortion at only moderately loud levels. On top of that the POS Monsoon amp uses speaker level inputs. That means that the badly distorted signal from the HU gets amplified. Then the POS Monsoon amp adds it's own distortion to that signal. All this distortion is why the factory speakers are blowing ALL the time. If you don't intend to replace the entire POS Monsoon system there are 2 things you can do to protect the factory speakers. The first is to ease up on the volume control. The second is to back off the bass controls on the EQ. If you don't do these two things you can count on the speakers blowing again and again and again and.....
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

i have the rear monsoon speakers outta my vert that you can have, just give me some money for shipping. I had them on with my aftermarket system because i only bought front components so i hooked up the monsoon rear speakers to my amp. I just upgraded and moved my front speakers to the rear. So they are available.

black
    98 trans am

yeah i have found that the only way to go is with the original gm stuff if i want the same sound, i cant afford all new stereo system and replace everything at this time. If i can just find the two that are in the rear seat side panels i would like that. I will just have to ease up on the bass and volume a bit, thanks for your advice people

Black
    2004 Z06

How does one have steering wheel controls with an aftermarket radio? Is there some kind of apparatus to use?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by eddierox
    How does one have steering wheel controls with an aftermarket radio? Is there some kind of apparatus to use?
    As long as your new HU uses an infrared remote control you can use the PAC SWI-X to retain the use of your steering wheel controls.

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal
    As long as your new HU uses an infrared remote control you can use the PAC SWI-X to retain the use of your steering wheel controls.
    Oh yeah I was gonna go that way but the infrared "eye" has to stick out from somewhere pointing at the steering wheel controls.
    The audio guy couldn't figure out how to install it anywhere without drilling a little hole somewhere on the dash and of course this is unaccetable and it would probably look lowlife funky just sticking out of the frame.

This is pretty much a cheap shot on behalf of GM that you have to retain the factory crappy monsoon HU lest you not have steering wheel controls which are neccesssary when doing a couple of hundred miles an hour and can't take your hands off the steering wheel while playing old Van Halen at painful threshold which is why one is 'nascar juiced' to be doing this kind of speed in the first place .. in the first place.. in first place.
    Sheesh.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Here's what I did with my LED

Before I had the custom trim ring the LED was mounted into the Metra dash kit I used right below the HU. It worked there better than it did when I had it in the cup holder pointed at the HU

Black
    2004 Z06

Well I'll be damned .. that looks pretty good .. is that the infrared eye right there in the center?
    It looks to be you don't need it to point right at the controls but close enought to work.
    I like it. Very Pro.

BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS CONV

Anyone got a door speaker for a Camaro vert?

black
    2000 z28 conv.

Monsoon sound system, I call it minewillsoon sound bad. System is not bad. Delco just needs to improve their speaker quality. My door speakers are blown. The foam souroud is of poor quality. That is the first thing to go. The foam is hard and thin, which is why they rip at the base where it's mounted to speaker frame.
    8 out of 9 speakers that I saw had this problem. This will cause speakers to rattle, worst at higher volumes.
    For my Z conv. a complete system make over.

PS: To Post 11. That looks cool (LED Install), has a stock look to it. I likes

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

It's not the speakers that are the problem. It's the massive amount of distortion that the HU and amp produce at even moderately loud levels. When I first got my car I hooked up the HU to my O-scope and checked it with a calibrated test disc. After only 23 clicks of the volume control the HU's output was starting to clip. Try turning your HU up 23 clicks and you'll see that that setting isn't very loud at all. The higher you turn it up from there the worse the clipping gets. And since the POS Monsoon amp uses speaker level inputs it has a badly distorted signal that it is trying to amplify. Add these together and that is why the speakers are blowing all the time. This is why a simple speaker upgrade does very little to improve the sound of the POS Monsoon system.

Thread Information