Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Couple ?s on rebuilding 4th gen AC sys.

Couple ?s on rebuilding 4th gen AC sys.
    Exactly how much oil & type goe’s into the sys. I’ve read 8 or 9 ounces. Of PAG150. autozone told me use PAG46 but didn’t tell me how much.
    The young kid at the real mechanic shop said leave it filled an none in dry, I kindof lost confidence in him exspecialley when he charges $300.(to do what I thought I wanted flush,vacuum an recharge) an won’t guarantee my parts I installed.
    So far my progress is I have removed the original compressor.

I purchased the GPD complete kit minus the evaporator core an solid metal line from top of condenser to bottom connect at evaporator on firewall.
    I purchased
    Compressor,condenser, the 2 lines that connect at back of compressor then connect to bottom of condenser an to dryer. New dryer, orifice filter so basically a complete new AC
    So I don’t want to foul this up like I’ve read a few have foulded up by not replaceing
    All parts.

1.type an amount of oil?
    I’ve read many threads an most are conflicting an confusing.
    Like the instructions from GPD an other manufacturers say to empty the old compressor then use that amount in new compressor, my old comp. had zero oil.

Oil continued:I completely drained my new compressor it had 5oz. I spun the clutch about 20 times an shook titled comp.GPDs lable claims they fill w/ 6.1 oz of oil.

some say the sys. Takes 8-9oz. man at autozone said put half in compressor the other half in dryer. Others say see attached doc. put 2oz in comp. 2oz in dryer,2oz in condenser,an 2 in evaporator.
    Then I read all the oil inside condenser & evaporator will be sucked out when vacuuming the sys.an the oil in the comp. and dryer will not get vacuumed out.
    So I’m leaning toward what autozone man said.

2.O-rings
    Some say coat the O-rings w/ motor oil some say coat w/ PAG oil the man who answered the phone at GPD says don’t coat the o-rings are precoated.

3.vacuum time & holding pressure time?
    I think I can wing it on reading the el-cheapo gauges I purchased an plan to rent the Autozone vacuum.
    If my rebuild holds vacuum for here we go again some say 5 minutes so 15 so half hour it’s all so confussing for my first AC rebuild.

4.Reusing the old sensor or replacing it to?
    I believe there’s a sensor that needs to be transferred from old compressor to new I think it’s behind a seal that’s held on w/ a c-clip ring.really know nothing on this.

5.freon :The only thing I’m not guessing on is the 1.5LB of 134A Freon which translates to 24 ounces plan on injecting a 14oz can an a 12oz can I’v been told 1oz is left inside yellow charge tube so I’m assuming I’ll end up w/ the required 24oz.

6. flushing since all my parts are new except for evap.core I plan to flush only evap core w/ flush solvent an compressed air.or do new parts require flushing?

I do know there’s a sensor at the dryer it senses if Freon is in the sys. A pressure sensor which signal for the comp. clutch to enguage like when I add a bit of Freon the clutch does enguage so I’m thinking my sys is working correctly as far as electrical.

My plan is to route the 2 tubes that go to comp. parshialley positioning the compressor w/ back of it tilted down enough to attach the 2 tubes then position it an bolt it in.this is how I removed the comp. w/ the sway bar lowered.

Sorry to be so long wanted to be as detailed as I can be.
    Any advice on this stuff is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

After watching more videos I ran into this supercool provided what type of oil it’s PAG46 an 9oz. for whole sys.
    https://vil3.motor.com/Home_Frameset...xwcyniez1ptyyz

3oz in evape,condenser 1oz, they left compressor an dryer blank to further confuse me. Or I missed it.

I found supercool from this man just happened upon this video best vid. So far an I’ve watched a bunch very good at explaining the AC sys. However when he starts the recharge w/ yellow tube he didn’t purge the air out. I think he has to close the valves an turn off engine when changing Freon cans.

He say at the 16minute mark if your compressor has a drain plug which mine does pour
    The total systems oil whole 9oz all the oil into crankcase.then at 17 minute mark he changes the story he say”if you have orifice tube pour half in dryer confusion continues.

Another thing I’m confused on is the compressor plug initially I thought a sensor was inside the c-clip but apparently it’s a plug that needs removing.
    Found video on it here.

at end of video they mention a switch I assume this switch should be transferred from old compressor I didn't see such switch or I missed it, just adding to the confusion. Thanks for any advice
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 04-06-2023 at 06:29 PM.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

I think I figured out to back flush evape core from the top port at firewall, bc the lower port is input that holds the orifice filter.
    so I'm understanding the AC a little.
    this co. where I purchased GPD is weak on surport little to none.they have a few videos but skip over this comp.plug removal an switch install.
    still waiting for expert advice.
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 04-07-2023 at 08:04 AM.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

here's the instructions on removing a plug and installing a switch. not sure what either are GPD is useless on surport.I feel like I'm talking to myself.

is there a AC section here?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 04-07-2023 at 03:19 PM.

Thread Information