Thread: "The Pacific"

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

"The Pacific"

I dont know if we have "Band of Borthers" fans here. But HBO is starting a new series tonight. "The Pacific" which is about the war with Japan in WWII. I hope they do as good as they did with Easy Company.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Cool beans....They did a great job on Band of Brothers....

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I'll be watching it.

I notice they are using '03 Springfields. This is historically accurate.

My step Dad was in the 1st Cavalry in WWII and fought in the Pacific. He enlisted in Jan 1940 and was an E5 when they departed for Oz. He was supposed to serve a 2 year enlistment but we all know what happened Dec 7th, 1941. He didn't ETS until Jan 1946. I remember him telling me that, although he'd heard of the M1 Garand, he wasn't issued one til he was on the ship headed for war.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'll be watching it.

I notice they are using '03 Springfields. This is historically accurate.

My step Dad was in the 1st Cavalry in WWII and fought in the Pacific. He enlisted in Jan 1940 and was an E5 when they departed for Oz. He was supposed to serve a 2 year enlistment but we all know what happened Dec 7th, 1941. He didn't ETS until Jan 1946. I remember him telling me that, although he'd heard of the M1 Garand, he wasn't issued one til he was on the ship headed for war.
    Marine's always get the hand me downs IMO. I know when I was in 87-92 the MP's were carrying A1's and 38's still. The MP's still used those during DSD/DS. During DS/DS I know of few Marines that had desert cammies at the start. I know when the ground war started we were still wearing jungle/woodland cammies. When we moved into Kuwait territory we got issued the desert version but heck then it was over. We didn't get desert boots until right before we went home. And all they had were jump boots. They did lets us take as many as we wanted. Everything else was just going to be left there.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Marine's always get the hand me downs IMO. I know when I was in 87-92 the MP's were carrying A1's and 38's still. The MP's still used those during DSD/DS. During DS/DS I know of few Marines that had desert cammies at the start. I know when the ground war started we were still wearing jungle/woodland cammies. When we moved into Kuwait territory we got issued the desert version but heck then it was over. We didn't get desert boots until right before we went home. And all they had were jump boots. They did lets us take as many as we wanted. Everything else was just going to be left there.
    To be honest with you, although the M1 Garand became the main battle rifle of the military in 1937 and was used throughout WWII (and beyond), the Govt had only procured a few thousand of them prior to the outbreak of war. Almost all units (Navy/Marine and Army) were equipped with 1903 bolt action Springfield rifles (they had literally millions in storage).

My step dad told me that prior to Pearl Harbor they used .22 caliber rifles most of the time to save on the cost of ammo. He only got to fire the 03 Springfield for familiarization and qualification when he joined. Back then (1940) the 1st Cav was a real horse cavalry type unit which they turned into a light Infantry unit. When he shipped out they rolled his unit into the Americal Division and sent him to Guadalcanal. It was on the way there when they gave them M1 Garands.

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

I am going to have to wait for it to come out on dvd and buy it as I no longer have HBO. When they quit making Rome and Deadwood there really wasn't anything on HBO to watch, so I dumped them. Band of Brothers the greatest telling of WWII in the European Theater. I am sure Pacific with do the same for the Pacific Theater in WWII. Looking forward to see it.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

ill have to check it out

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

When I was in the Navy we threw rocks at the bad guys....then we paddles like a bitch

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I'm looking forward to this series

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    When I was in the Navy we threw rocks at the bad guys....then we paddles like a bitch
    I thought you had Flintlock's back then...

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

My Grandpa fought on Iwo. Took some grenade shrapnel to the leg there that he carried with him for the rest of his life.

The stories he could tell about that battle. (In his words) The Marines are mean SOB's, and they always win.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Tom Hanks has sure turned out to be an idiot hasn't he?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    My Grandpa fought on Iwo. Took some grenade shrapnel to the leg there that he carried with him for the rest of his life.

The stories he could tell about that battle. (In his words) The Marines are mean SOB's, and they always win.

My stepdad had some spine tingling tales from the Pacific. He fought on 4 Islands and did garrison duty on the Home Island. Got a Purple Heart (2nd one) from being shot in the leg while fighting in the Phillipines on Leyte. Nasty scar from that one.

Most hectic tale was of having his company get caught in a cross fire ambush on the island of Leyte. Out of almost 100 guys only 30 survived that one. He was an E7 at the time and felt responsible for the loss of life in his platoon. One of the dead was his closest friend at the time. Guy took a head shot in front of my stepdad. You can only imagine. He told me he held him as he died. Him telling me that story was only the 2nd time I'd seen him cry. The 1st time was when his mother died.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Tom Hanks has sure turned out to be an idiot hasn't he?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    How so?
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6307437.shtml

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

While I agree, Tom Hanks is a complete idiot for making a statement like that and he needs to go hide back underneath his Hollywood bubble? Prejudice is still even alive and well on this forum, as this member posted the remark below when some pictures of a cute Vietnamese girl were posted in Irox chicks thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    wtf is up with all this yellow crap

Thread Information