HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar

noticeable ticking

ok soo now i have a tick coming from the engine. i know that ls1's make odd noises sometimes and can be noisy in general once in awhile..but for the past couple of days i have been experiencing a noticeable ticking..if the cars running and im in the car with the windows down you can hear it..oor for ex. when im in a driveup like taco bell you can rrrreeeaallly hear it...i guess because of the proximity of the wall to the car soo the sound will bounce off of it and get stronger....same goes for my garage..soo what can this be?? how can i fix it?? i just hope i dont have to take my valve covers off and start tinkering around....further good news, i think my shakin problems are brake related =) soo maybe should be a quick fix
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Yellowjacket
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke View Post
    ok soo now i have a tick coming from the engine. i know that ls1's make odd noises sometimes and can be noisy in general once in awhile..but for the past couple of days i have been experiencing a noticeable ticking..if the cars running and im in the car with the windows down you can hear it..oor for ex. when im in a driveup like taco bell you can rrrreeeaallly hear it...i guess because of the proximity of the wall to the car soo the sound will bounce off of it and get stronger....same goes for my garage..soo what can this be?? how can i fix it?? i just hope i dont have to take my valve covers off and start tinkering around....further good news, i think my shakin problems are brake related =) soo maybe should be a quick fix
    Replace your oil pump o-ring. It's worn out and allowing air to seep into the oil flow. 99.9% can guarantee it's your #7 piston (rear driver's side) which is the first to receive oil, and since there's a small amount of aireation, your #7 lifter is not pumping up completely. This phenomena has caused many, many folks to draw blood from banging their heads against the wall after several engine tear downs and rebuilds.

Do that first. 99% chance the tick will go bye-bye.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiarocker View Post
    Replace your oil pump o-ring. It's worn out and allowing air to seep into the oil flow. 99.9% can guarantee it's your #7 piston (rear driver's side) which is the first to receive oil, and since there's a small amount of aireation, your #7 lifter is not pumping up completely. This phenomena has caused many, many folks to draw blood from banging their heads against the wall after several engine tear downs and rebuilds.

interesting. . . does this explain the start up tick that many ls1's get?

Yellowjacket
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    interesting. . . does this explain the start up tick that many ls1's get?
    Although the culprit is the same, symptoms have varied. Mine would tick on startup. It would go away at warm idle. However, drive it a mile or so and the tick would be there. Bring it back to the garage and let her idle for about 2 minutes and it would go away again!

There's been much discussion on this o-ring issue, just not enough time for me to go find the threads before I get off work. I'll try to provide the info tonight after dinner.

Here's something to chew on before I leave. Check out my post on #59 and what followed.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...=georgiarocker
    Last edited by Georgiarocker; 04-24-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Although the culprit is the same, symptoms have varied. Mine would tick on startup. It would go away at warm idle. However, drive it a mile or so and the tick would be there. Bring it back to the garage and let her idle for about 2 minutes and it would go away again!

There's been much discussion on this o-ring issue, just not enough time for me to go find the threads before I get off work. I'll try to provide the info tonight after dinner.

Here's something to chew on before I leave. Check out my post on #59 and what followed.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...=georgiarocker
    huh?? wow thanks man! if u say ur 99.9% sure.. then im def gonna do that. ill wait for your sticky on how to.. how hard u think it'll be??

Yellowjacket
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6

huh?? wow thanks man! if u say ur 99.9% sure.. then im def gonna do that. ill wait for your sticky on how to.. how hard u think it'll be??
    Can't post a how-to sticky for this, sorry. My tuner/installer did mine. I'm just passing along the info.

Can't post a how-to sticky for this, sorry. My tuner/installer did mine. I'm just passing along the info.
    huh. i see. does anyone know where the oil pump is at and is it easy to access for someone to do this job themselves?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Oil pump is a PITA. You gotta pull the water pump, crank pulley, take the timing chain cover off, drop the oil pan, and pull the 10 mm bolt out. You'll need 2 gallons of Dexcool.. premixed, new water pump gaskets, new o-ring, new crank pulley bolt.. front main seal, and you'll probably want a new timing chain cover gasket too.

you might as well do a cam/spring swap while your in there... Oh yea the radiator will probably have to come out too..

Quote Originally Posted by Spieldawg View Post
    Oil pump is a PITA. You gotta pull the water pump, crank pulley, take the timing chain cover off, drop the oil pan, and pull the 10 mm bolt out. You'll need 2 gallons of Dexcool.. premixed, new water pump gaskets, new o-ring, new crank pulley bolt.. front main seal, and you'll probably want a new timing chain cover gasket too.

you might as well do a cam/spring swap while your in there... Oh yea the radiator will probably have to come out too..
    pppfffff fuck that. i'll sell the bitch before that,lol. but thanks though man

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

mine has "ticked" since it's been brand new, it has 30k miles, I'm just wondering what kind of damage this is causing, maybe none? maybe it's just not allowing the cam to reach it's potential lift on that particular cylinder, which would cause a lack of power and if it happens to get worse, meaning the lifter has less oil in it than before then it could potentially cause a back fire through the intake and make it undrivable.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

My 98 ticks after driving for 30 minutes and it is the number one lifter I GUARANTEE it. I run around town and it's good but oil psi is 60-70 at idle cold, 40 warm, and I've used regular, synthetic and everything in between. I now have rotella 10w-40 and lucas. Still ticks. Any thoughts?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

check headers /gaskets and or any gaskest under car ,look for black soot oozing from any leak maybe when car is cold water dripping from leak,thats condensation.. where exhaust butts together.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

pppfffff fuck that. i'll sell the bitch before that,lol. but thanks though man
    changing that stuff is really not that bad..can be done in aound and hour or two by an experienced mechanic.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Out of curiosity what oil and weight are you running?

1 idea if money is tight. . . . . . . Turn the stereo up.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thread Information